CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
symmetry

This has something that came to my attention awhile back, but I never bothered to ask about.

While working out I noticed, and frequently have pointed out to me that anytime i'm doing some sort of press it is just awkwardly off. Anything from bench press, push-ups, HSPU, to dips and you can see that one half of my body is working in a different way than the other. I try to make note of this and do push ups in the mirror but can't seem to fix it. When I dip I actually almost rotate a few degrees to the left rather than straight forward. I've also noticed that my lats look totally different than each other and my shoulders are different too.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what is causing this and how to fix it.

While i've already got your attention. What do most of you feel is more important... drinking tons of water and milk, or being able to make it through the night without waking up to pee?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
David Croushore

Profile:
Re: symmetry

It sounds like one side is just weaker and that you're compensating for it. Perhaps not in terms of one muscle, but in core stabilizers and large muscle groups.

As far as your last question, drinking enough water, no milk, and being able to sleep makes me feel very happy. I can put down about 1.5 gallons of water per day before I'd have to wake up at night... That or just a few beers.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I try not to drink liquids within 2 hours of bed time or I have the same problem.

To fix your symmetry problems, try working with one-sided lifts. We routinely do one armed dumbell olympic lifts, one-legged squats, one-sided deadlifts, you name it. Use rings or *gasp* the bar on a smith machine to stabilize yourself if you need it. (one good use for a smith machine) I'm training my dad right now and he has some right sided deficiencies in his shoulder. We've had a lot of success with lateral medicine ball throws and slams as well.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Not totally disqualifying these answers, but I used to weight lift bb style and never saw any difference in strength from one side of my body to the other. It's never really an out of balance issue, it's just like a weird range of motion.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Dustin Berry

Profile:

My first thought is if you've ever injured one shoulder. But then again you would have mentioned that. Maybe it's a flexibility thing.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

I have the same problem when pressing (standing or bench). In my case I suspect that one side is simply stronger than the other. You nixed that notion.

My theory is that initially in your weightlifting career your body was weaker on one side. When lifting you began compensating for this weakness with a altered range of motion, one that would be more efficient naturally per your starting weakness. Although years of training has correct these initial strength imbalances, they were corrected through the altered ROM.

If you force yourself to do identical ROMs for each side I think you might find a discrepancy in strength or stability.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Never had a shoulder injury. Both shoulders are pretty damn flexible, I used to do BJJ and Judo a little. I think I need to get some video of me doing these exercises, maybe that will help shed some light.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Donald Lee

Profile:

Regarding the water issue, these two discussions may be helpful:

http://performancemenu.com/forum/sho...ighlight=water

http://performancemenu.com/forum/sho...ighlight=water

(both wfs)
Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

My right arm/hand is my dominant, so I've noticed that my left arm is slightly bigger than my right. I think it's because my right is used for more fine motor skills, and thus has better coordination than my left, so the left has to overcompensate by using more motor units to do the same task.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Maybe one arms longer than the other? I do agree with the one arm lifts. Maybe pushups with one hand on a medicine ball, pullups with a towel, one hand on the bar, one on the towel......... I like sleep.