CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
how can i answer this

i have been on crossfit for a while, i love it, im trying to recruit some people to become crossfiters and showed them the website, so on and so forth...

i still have one thing i cant answer "i fear crossfit will make me look like a body builder very big in size therefore slower at runninng, swimming, and biking." when i till my friends that it will not i cant really back it up. they belive crossfit will make them faster at those for a while then start to have a negative effect on the long run "what do you mean 120 pullups and 120 dips for time is not going to make you too big" this is another question i cant answer. any help convincing them it is designed to make them better overall athletes at these three sports and not make them too big.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: how can i answer this

Show them some of the demo videos, in which they will see strong (but not huge) people moving very fast, with and without weight.

Katherine
Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

120 pullups and 120 dips done every day would make you pretty bulky. Done once every other month, not so much. Show them a month's worth of workouts. They'll see running, max-effort lifting, metabolic torture sessions, some muscular endurance WODs, and core workouts like today's. Show them Josh Everett, who is incredibly strong and fast. If that doesn't do it, tell them to stop moaning, get off the proverbial couch, and do something about their fitness.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
i have been on CrossFit for a while, i love it, im trying to recruit some people to become CrossFiters and showed them the website, so on and so forth...

i still have one thing i cant answer "i fear CrossFit will make me look like a body builder very big in size therefore slower at runninng, swimming, and biking." when i till my friends that it will not i cant really back it up. they belive CrossFit will make them faster at those for a while then start to have a negative effect on the long run "what do you mean 120 pullups and 120 dips for time is not going to make you too big" this is another question i cant answer. any help convincing them it is designed to make them better overall athletes at these three sports and not make them too big.

It's not a reason. It's an excuse.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

+1 for an excuse. All you can do is show them the site, if they don't want try it, esp. based on that lame reason, then that is their perogative. I would not waste my time on them any longer. Similar excuse ladies use that "they will get too bulky." Show them CFE, seems more up their alley.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Christopher Walls

Profile:

Sit them down and have them read the FAQ, that's what it's for.

Anyway, if they do get started, I would suggest CrossFit scaled down (obviously) or CF Kids (Top Dog levels), which I did with a few friends and now they love CF scaled down.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
"i fear CrossFit will make me look like a body builder very big in size therefore slower at runninng, swimming, and biking."
You're kidding, right?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
i have been on CrossFit for a while, i love it, im trying to recruit some people to become CrossFiters and showed them the website, so on and so forth...

i still have one thing i cant answer "i fear CrossFit will make me look like a body builder very big in size therefore slower at runninng, swimming, and biking." when i till my friends that it will not i cant really back it up.
Nobody gets big and bulky on any training program without eating for it. If your friends aren't eating for size, they won't get huge.

How good are your friends at running, swimming and biking? Unless they are competing at very high levels, CrossFit is much more likely to benefit their abilities in these sports, without consuming hours and hours of road/pool time.

Better yet, train yourself with CrossFit and start beating them at these sports. Sooner or later they will ask why.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Find better friends. I would suggest your local affiliate.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Jeff Bocock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
You're kidding, right?
Ive gotten that from a few people as well... Its pretty sad. People have the belief that being in the weight room everyday will turn you into Ronnie Coleman