CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Shane Stoneman

Profile:
one of you got to know the answer to this

hey everyone

i'm hopeing that someone could tell me if it's counter-productive to do a metcon workout right after a ME workout.

for example... if i was to do an ME workout of front squats and then was to do an metcon workout that was going to be taxing on my legs, does the metcon workout at all take away fromt the ME work i had just done?

i've got it in my head that the answer is yes and i'm not sure how i came to believe that. hopefully one of you can tell me whats what.

thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
James Forbes

Profile:
Re: one of you got to know the answer to this

I don't think it would be counter-productive necessarily. I believe Rosstraining.com (w/f safe) promotes doing strength workouts before metcon/cardio type workouts. Your body is still going to react to the stimulus of the workload you put it through. If you had the time during the day, you could do one in the morning and one at night. Possibly rotate body parts. If you do a ME workout for your legs follow it with an upper body focused Metcon.
From my experience, size and strength gains can still be seen. Back in my weight lifting/body building days I would workout and then train boxing/kickboxing and grappling. More often than not, my instense boxing workout would follow a tough upper body workout, or grappling would follow an intense leg workout. Of course, this isn't to say i wouldn't have had better gains if I didn't have training after my workouts.
I'm sure someone with much greater knowledge will post, so you don't have only my opinion to consider.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Coach Michael "Coach Rut" Rutherford's blog posts a 3 day ME + metcon schedule. Check out http://coachrut.blogspot.com (w/f/s).
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

also performance menu gives a strength workout and a metcon on a 3 on 1 off schedule. Greg E suggests the strength in morning and metcon later in day (WFS)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

The answer is yes.

To get maximum effect with strength work you want to do only strength work and to get maximum effect with endurance/whatever else you need to do only that. However, you can still make good gains in each if you do both (assuming you aren't near or at elite level strength/endurance/etc.).

Anyway, scheduling them 6+ hours apart is better for each if you're set on doing both. Strength is generally best done in the morning although if you have a high work capacity you can do metcon in the morning and strength in the evening.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Shane Stoneman

Profile:

Thanks heaps guys. The input and links are solid. Now it's time to see if I can handle the work load.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Shane Stoneman

Profile:

So just as a follow up... I've decided to do ME first in the day and Metcon later in hopes of making some "good gains" as Steven said. I would just follow an ME Black Box system but on the ME days I get so restless and feel that I need to do more. Hopefully this format will keep me more motivated and therefore lead to bigger and better gains!