CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Mommy, I want a Crossfit log, too.

Er, alright. I've been at this for a few months already but it's time to actually start keeping track of my progress.

My stats: I'm 21, 5'7", 157lbs (I bring this up because I'm trying to shed some pounds) @ around 21.5-22% BF.

My goals are to achieve a 7:00-7:30m mile, bring the row time down to at least 1:50, work on getting more box jumps in, as well as work on more consecutive kips (although I haven't put any serious effort into getting many of them, I can do 6 consecutively before I start running into trouble).

Deadlift: 225lbs.
Back squat: 185lbs.
Front squat: 155lbs.
OHS: TBD.
Power clean: 135lbs.
C&J: TBD (probably around 115-125)
500m row: 2:00.

Anyways, my stamina is complete and utter ****. Horrendous. It's pathetic. Shameful. Etc. You get the idea.

As for my diet: I've been doing the 30-day Paleo challenge for the past 2 weeks. It's not strict Loren-style Paleo, I do eat bacon and fattier meats and probably don't get enough vegetables. Staples of my diet are: bacon, eggs, chicken breast, apples, grapes, and almond butter. I have an unhealthy preoccupation with almond butter and need to reduce my intake drastically. I honestly don't eat nearly enough protein so I've been fine-tuning the diet a beet, I'm going to be increasing the protein, getting more vegetables in, and replacing almond butter with applesauce (for the sake of reducing calories).

I go to an affiliate, have been at it about 5 months.

01/05/10:

"Century Thrusters"
100 Thrusters M95 W65
To begin the workout and at the top of every minute:
3 Burpees
3 Knees to Elbows

I went on what I thought was the very, very safe side, at 35lbs. It took me 18:00. Every second of that time was utterly vile, I wanted to walk out in the middle of it, and was actually pretty close to doing so. I scaled down by dropping the plates off of each side, leaving just the 16lb bar. The trainer told me those didn't count, there were no words for how furious I was at that moment. She was right, though, with that weight, I might as well have been using a PVC pipe. She actually told me that she thought I would be using 65lbs. No way. This is one of the worst experiences I've had in a long time.

Last edited by Stephanie Walters : 04-05-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Re: Mommy, I want a Crossfit log, too.

Alright, it's time for another disaster of a workout.

800 meter run
3rds of:
9 Squat Cleans and Jerks M115 W75
9 Toes to Bar
9 HSPU
Finish with another 800m run.

Alright...no. I am a horrible runner. For the squat clean & jerks, I had to use 55lbs because I have a bad shoulder and the 100 thrusters, even at 35lbs, only aggravates it. I even had to skip some of these reps. The toes to bar were fine, I can do those all day, and the substitute for the HSPU were dumbbell presses (no, not a push press). The only dumbbells I could use were 20lbs, the only other option was 35lbs and that would be more like a 5RM for me. I didn't look at the time, it wouldn't have counted for anything anyways since I skipped a decent number of squat/clean/jerks.

If anyone is reading this, I have some questions:

Are any of you ADD kids on Ritalin? I take it when I wake up in the morning, before I work out, and I think it's affecting my performance (negatively). I think it might be raising my heart rate or something...anyone else have a similar experience?

Also, I switched to Paleo a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely strict, no sweet potatoes, no pasta, nothing, and although I'm leaning out, I think my performance has deteriorated. Anyone have any negative experiences (gasp, heresy) with Paleo here? Should I add more carbohydrates (vegetables) and see if that helps me out, and should I have some before I work out?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Walters View Post
Alright, it's time for another disaster of a workout.

800 meter run
3rds of:
9 Squat Cleans and Jerks M115 W75
9 Toes to Bar
9 HSPU
Finish with another 800m run.

Alright...no. I am a horrible runner. For the squat clean & jerks, I had to use 55lbs because I have a bad shoulder and the 100 thrusters, even at 35lbs, only aggravates it. I even had to skip some of these reps. The toes to bar were fine, I can do those all day, and the substitute for the HSPU were dumbbell presses (no, not a push press). The only dumbbells I could use were 20lbs, the only other option was 35lbs and that would be more like a 5RM for me. I didn't look at the time, it wouldn't have counted for anything anyways since I skipped a decent number of squat/clean/jerks.

If anyone is reading this, I have some questions:

Are any of you ADD kids on Ritalin? I take it when I wake up in the morning, before I work out, and I think it's affecting my performance (negatively). I think it might be raising my heart rate or something...anyone else have a similar experience?

Also, I switched to Paleo a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely strict, no sweet potatoes, no pasta, nothing, and although I'm leaning out, I think my performance has deteriorated. Anyone have any negative experiences (gasp, heresy) with Paleo here? Should I add more carbohydrates (vegetables) and see if that helps me out, and should I have some before I work out?

Hey Stephanie

Good work! I can't offer any input about the Ritalin, but when I did the Zone I had a major drop in performance the first couple of weeks: felt extremely weak and fatigued, wanted to quit in the middle of the WOD, etc. I'd like to tell you that it got better, but I dropped a lot of weight in a short time. I'm small to start with so I ended up at 105# and then really was weak because I was so friggin skinny! I ended up doing SS and quit Zoning and haven't gone back to it since, however if you are looking to lose weight I would say stick with the Paleo. I've heard that it gets better. You may have to up your fat intake.

Good job on the Century Thrusters WOD. I too have a bad shoulder which drives me insane. We have a thruster burpee workout we do with 100 reps of each, and I hesitate to do it with more than 45#. Same with OHS. I feel your pain sister!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Thank you for your input, Suzanne. I was using the Zone before I started CrossFit and was still on it for the first couple of weeks. It was absolutely horrendous. I couldn't stand up without blacking out most of the time and it was too much trouble to keep up.

As for my ADD kid medication (Ritalin), I looked it up and read that a lot of people had trouble with getting out of breath too quickly and increased heart rate so I skipped it today for today's workout. Vast improvement.

We had "Tabata Something Else" today. I did jumping pull-ups but opted to do regular push-ups since my arms give out pretty quickly and I figured I needed the practice.

PullU: 10-8-8-8-8-8-8-8
PushU: 8-8-8-6-5-5-5-5
SU: 12-12-10-10-10-10-10-10
Sq: 15-15-15-15-10-10-10-10

The total was: 300. I was feeling pretty damn good about myself until I looked at some of the totals from other affiliates (my morning class had 3 other people, not many grounds for comparison)

The order of the numbers is off because I had to memorize each set so I could see what needed improvement. I should've just counted the reps, the numbers didn't tell me anything I don't already know.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Today, we had a **itcon.

For time:
40 DL M135 W95
40 Butterfly Sit-ups
40 DU's (120 singles for me)
40 Split Squat Jumps
40 Toes to Bar
40 MB Recliner Twist M20 W15
40 KB Swings M52 W35
40 Plank Rocks
40 Burpees

We got to choose which exercise we started at, the exception being we had to finish with burpees (the class protested in unison). I went with T2B because they're my absolute favorite, but I took my time with them, I think I lingered for around 4 minutes, which really left the rest of the workout as a party for my forearms. I scaled the swings to 17lbs and deadlifts to 65-75lbs so the workout was survivable with the exception of burpees. I did it in 25:12, not a great time but I'll take it.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

DUDE, YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THAT YOU STARTED A LOG!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Like you need to deal with BOTH of us whining
Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Alright, today we had our weekly benchmark WOD! Today's was DT:

12 Deadlifts
9 Hang Power Cleans
6 Clean & Jerks
Rx is 105lbs.

I wanted to give 95lbs a shot. I knew I could clean & jerk it (I've done it without much trouble during a workout composed of 5 rounds of 5 CJs with some double-unders). I played around with it before class, deadlifts were obviously not a problem, hang power cleans...not a problem either (I went up to 115 for some HPC's for fun, haven't done them often)...the CJs were tough but (I thought) manageable.

Anyways, the WOD started, I flew through the deadlifts, got my HPCs done, got to the CJs...and it just wasn't happening. I got the 6 done but by the end of the set, I was having a lot of trouble locking out overhead so I grabbed the nearest bar (65lbs) and carried on with that. My time came out to 13:50. Meh. I was hoping to go heavier with this workout but that idea flew right out the door once I got started.

Apart from that, we were doing "max pull-ups" for the leaderboard. The guys went in, knocked them out (highest number was 50!). Then it was the ladies' turn. First one got 15, second got 25, and nobody stepped up to the plate for the third spot. "Come on, you only need to get 1 to get on the leaderboard," they told us, so I scurried up to the box and busted out the 3 ugliest kipping pull-ups anyone has ever seen in their life I'll take whatever victories I can get. I can usually do more kips (and they're definitely much prettier), but it was the end of the week and I was beat up.

Number 3, over and out
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Walters View Post
Number 3, over and out
WOOT, woman!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Tara Garrett

Profile:

How many times a week fo you CF? I'm at 3x's a week right now and sometimes I'll pick up a saturday or workout on my own but I'm trying to find the "sweet spot" where I'm able to give it all I've got and still recover.