CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Amy Larson

Profile:
Crossfit Mom Log

Hello out there. I'm a 39-year-old mom of two and have been Crossfitting exclusively since September. I've always exercised, focusing primarily on running and swimming. Two years ago I purchased the P90X program and had some pretty good results. I think it worked for me because I had not spent much time with weights in years and I found a little strength work coupled with a fairly good diet goes a very long way. But, after the 90 day program, I was left feeling "Now What?" I did a second round, ran a marathon, and tried to come up with my own program of weights, swimming, running, kettlebells and yoga. Needless to say I got burned out and frustrated. I became so sick of working out in front of a t.v. and hearing the same silly jokes over and over from the disc.

P90X has a great message board program, and I was diligently hitting the boards, making virtual friends, posting workouts, confessing dietary sins etc. and I started reading about these brutal Crossfit workouts. Being curious, I checked out the site and began incorporating a workout or two per week into my crazy routine. The WODs were the toughest workouts I did each week (often the shortest) and I slowly got hooked. By September of last year, I gave up workout dvds for good (sold my P90X on e-bay) and have been following the WODs and 2 Crossfit Endurance workouts per week.

I decided to start this log in the hopes that newbies browsing the message board will come across my workouts and see that a regular working mom is having great results with this program. Every month I'm making progress and hitting new goals in all aspects of fitness, and as new weaknesses are exposed, I find I am no longer afraid to tackle them head-on.

I need a little work on my diet; yes I proclaim to follow the Zone (measure and weigh) but cheat more often than I should. I feel that I'm ready to take the intensity up a notch in the workouts, the diet, and my overall discipline. I work in a stressful environment (family-owned car dealership) and Crossfit has helped me deal with the anxiety and uncertainty that prevails today. One of the steps I'm taking in my new "hard routine" is accountability to myself and the Crossfit community. So, in addition to posting to my daily results to my personal log, they will be posted here for the world to see. Hopefully I'll get a few comments and some advice along the way.

Looking forward to Clean and Jerks tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Amy Larson

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Mom Log

3/9/09
Clean and Jerk
35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65

First time doing this on my own with weight. A friend of mine is the track coach at the high school and he gave me a little Oly training session a few weeks ago. I've been practicing the Burgener warmup and progressions and decided it was time to go for it with a little weight. Felt pretty good, wish I had someone to check form.

3/10/09
Jackie
Row 1000
35# thruster x 20
20 pullups
8:28

Did the Brand X puppy scaling with a little heavier weight for the thruster, pullups were performed broken. I feel like I should have scaled this up to 30 thrusters. I had never done this workout so I scaled back for a baseline. This has been my approach to Crossfit; if I'm not sure, I scale back and go hard. 99% of the time it works out just perfect and I'm seeing gains. I can finally crank out 10 kipping pullups on a good day, and am feeling stronger every week.

At the end of today's workout I added presses: 5 x 35, 45, 50 and 65. I had a little time and haven't been doing any additional strength work lately focusing instead on the CFE workouts 2 x per week (so I'll have another workout to post later). I have a 1/2 marathon in approx 6 weeks so won't get too crazy with extra work, but would like to work on strength this summer.

Nutrition was Zone-perfect yesterday, the key is not skipping meals or snacks!

One of my boys has been sick, so it's time to be a mom and see how he is feeling this morning

Last edited by Amy Larson : 03-10-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Amy Larson

Profile:

CFE Workout
One mile TT 7:26
rest 3 min
3 x 400 at same pace, 30 sec rest between.

These CFE workouts never fail to wipe me out. I'm getting a little better at finding the right pace to finish the workout. I know this isn't a blistering pace, but I'm getting faster every week. My goal is a 9 min per mile 1/2 marathon on May 4. I'm a little nervous not doing the weekly long runs, but am thankful I don't suffer from the usual aches and pains that usually accompany the LSD training.

So far so good on the Zone today. I add an extra two blocks when performing two workouts in a day. If anyone out there is curious about the Zone, buy a scale, get some measuring cups and just try it! You will be amazed at how simple it is and how great you feel and perform.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Amy Larson

Profile:

Rest today, ready for the WOD and CFE tomorrow. I'm always a few days behind the regular WOD. I do this to make sure I have adequate time for the workouts and it gives me a chance to watch videos or read up on technique if I'm doing something unfamiliar.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Amy Larson

Profile:

Ran 5K 23:55 PR by 20 seconds.
I've been doing most runs on the treadmill at 2% grade. Hoping to start getting to the CC track now that it's light a little later.

400s for CFE tonight . Heading to Willamette Valley for my boys' swim meet at Willamette U. facility this weekend. It just so happens the Salem Crossfit Affiliate does a group workout at the university track on Sat. mornings. I plan to sneak away for my first workout with an affiliate. Hopefully the kids won't mind if I miss an event or two.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Amy Larson

Profile:

CFE 6 x 400 with 2 min. rest between. Foul if pace deviates more than 2 seconds. I admit, I don't worry about the fouls right now, it's hard enough to get the clock and treadmill started together.

So far so good on the Zone, but I'll confess right now I'm having a glass of wine tonight (reviewed company tax return today)
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Hi Amy!

Welcome. I enjoyed reading your first log entries.

I'm a 49 year old mother of 2 K-9's. Been CrossFitting since August 1st...just around the time you started too. I also do some of the CFE workouts, which also never fail to kick my butt!

Good luck with your 1/2 marathon training. I'll try to visit your log again soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Amy Larson

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome Nancy! Is that you on the surfboard? I'm going to take lessons in Hawaii in June. We have a pretty big surf community in Coos Bay, OR but I'd like to start in more forgiving conditions.

CrossFit Total today, 405-50 point improvement!

Squat-125 135 140 (PR)

Press 70 75 80 (PR)

Deadlift 165 175 185 (PR)

Felt good, Most improvement was in the deadlift, looking forward to more strength work after the half-mary in May.

True to the Zone today (can't say I was very good over the weekend; was out of town at the kids' swim meet and did not plan well, maybe next time).
Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Amy Larson

Profile:

AMRAP 20 min

5 pull-ups
5 dips (used rings, assist with chair)
15 sit-ups

11 rounds 19:51

First time using chair, used to keep feet on floor. I'm up to 4 ring dips unassisted, scaled down to keep up pace.

Finished with 20 x 85# squat.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Amy Larson

Profile:

Little behind posting, but have been doing the workouts. Today did 4 rounds 35# hang squat clean and 3 sets of 10 jumping pullups. My grip and forearms were toast. Next time I'll up the weight on the cleans and maybe scale back on the pull-up reps but try to do more unassisted. Time was 13:51.

My kipping pull-ups are coming along thanks to the CFWU. I can do 12 now, and keep improving by two to three every week. My husband now sees the benefits of the kip and is trying to learn. It seems like the movement would help swimmers using the dolphin kick.

CFE workouts have been brutal. I was doing them Tuesdays and Thursdays but am now going to do the running Tues and Sat. An extra couple days between CFE will help recovery and I'll feel less pressure to squeeze doubles in during the week. I know, some would say just work the CFE into CrossFit rest days, but I respond better when I follow the three-on, one-off routine. At this point I can't imagine doing 3 CFE workouts per week along with the WODs, but I'm pretty new so we'll see how I feel a few months from now.