CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Anyone got a favorite workout logbook that they recommend? Something that allows you to capture all the different exercises that a Crossfitter might do?

I know a plain notebook is ok too but if there's something a little more structured, I'd prefer it.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Jamie Clark

Profile:
I use a computer based log called My Sport Training. I think a few other people on here use it too. Ive used it for a little over a year and I like it. Its pretty easy to manage if youre computer literate. Its preprogrammed and you can also set up workouts and categories of workouts. I like it because its searchable (to look up past workouts for reference times or weights used), its compatable with my heart rate monitor (download the data directly) and it syncs with my palm pilot. The website for the company is vidaone.com, you can view screenshots and get more info there and you can download a trial version as well if youre interested.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
If you are trying to track the training for multiple athletes, then something like this http://www.gillathletics.com/GillIte...spx?FSID=R2030 might work. It is very powerful, and has been used by many elite track coaches in the states.

Karl
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Mark Konen

Profile:
I love MySportTraining and use it in conjunction with a Palm pda and a Polar S525x heart rate monitor. While I do not look at the the hrm while CFing, it is sure cool to see the color graphs and stats afterwards. Very solid piece of software for pdas and windoze computers. (Sadly, no plans for Mac).
Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Microsoft Excel works great for me. Having the ability to Control+F is awesome.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:
MySportTraining.

I agree with the others, I've used it for almost 3 years now and it collects everything for me. I don't use it to sync a heart rate monitor but do download to/from my pda and really like the search function to find times/loads for past workouts. Highly recc'd.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks for the quick response. The program looks interesting but my concern is how well it integrates with Crossfit. I've been using a web-based program called Fitsync which wirelessly synchs with my PDA. www.fitsync.com

It's a great program but I find that it's a real pain to program in the incredible variety of CF workouts. It's much more attuned to traditional aerobic and weightlifting workouts. You do have to assign an exercise to a workout to enter it, so maybe the program you're suggesting is more flexible (i.e., just program burpees once and enter it anytime you do it).

What's your experience using it quickly for CF? I find my fitsync program requires me to spend several minutes per workout just entering stuff into it.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Jamie Clark

Profile:
I dont really use the "exercises" section of My Sport Training. I set up a category titled "Crossfit" and I copy and paste the WOD onto the "notes" section from the crossfit website. I do use the time, heart rate info, as well rate my exertion, energy level, etc. The whole process to enter my workout info takes me about 30 seconds. For me, if I use the exercise section it takes too long as you said, and its not necessary to search for workouts or exercises or just to view the data. I also use the program to track my other sports (running, brazilian jiu jitsu, triathlons). I took me a few days to get the hang of it when I started using it, and its not perfect, but its the best program all around that Ive seen.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I've put together an online workout log that we're running a bunch of CFers through. The daily WOD is already input into the system and we've got workouts back to 5/14 (or thereabouts). If you are following the mainpage WOD go to:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/worko...gnup?wkgroup=3

If you are workout with a group and creating workouts signup under:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/workoutlog/signup

then send an email to webmaster at drillsandskills.com telling me a group name to put in the system, and general plans for the log.

Since this is for the CF community I'm looking for any and all input on how to make this better. What features do you want to see, etc...

Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
David Sailor

Profile:
I do the same as Jamie: Have a category entitled "Crossfit", I then just copy and paste the WOD to the notes section and add any notations such as deviations from the wod or weights used such as in Linda. It only takes a few seconds to record and it sync's seamlessley from pda to computer or vice versa depending on what device I enter it on.