CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #931
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp

5/3/1 is a pretty good program if you're feeling beat-up by 3 heavy sets on GSLP. Bench and press gains will be a little slow at only 5lb jumps per month but they'll be consistent.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #932
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
5/3/1 is a pretty good program if you're feeling beat-up by 3 heavy sets on GSLP. Bench and press gains will be a little slow at only 5lb jumps per month but they'll be consistent.
Thanks! What would you do if you would be in my position though? Switch to 5/3/1, live with slower gains and the fact that it will take a while to get a decent 1RM for pressing and benching? 5/3/1 is pretty much the only alternative that makes sense, right?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #933
Will Feber

Profile:

What about keeping GSLP but for squats doing 3 sets with increasing weight instead of 3 sets across. For example 5x120, 5x130, 5+x140?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #934
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I guess you could do 5/3/1 percentages on squat and deadlift while still doing 5-5-5+ on bench and press (with standard LP jumps) and using assistance work to make up for the fact that you're only benching/pressing 1x per week each.

So your approach would look something like this:

Monday: Press 5, 5, 5+, then assistance work like close grip bench or weighted dips
Tuesday: Deadlift 5/3/1 plus assistance work like front squats
Thursday: Bench 5, 5, 5+, then assistance work like incline bench or more dips
Friday: Squat 5/3/1 then assistance work like RDLs

The next week you'll go with 5lb jumps on press and bench, and move on to the next week of your 5/3/1 cycle for deadlift and squat.

To my somewhat-educated eye it appears that this approach would allow you to continue linear progress on your weaker lifts while reducing volume on the ones where you're running out of linear gains and beating yourself up with 3 heavy sets.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #935
Will Feber

Profile:

Thanks, Eric.

Will think a bit more about it. Maybe I will also just give normal 5/3/1 a try for a few months. I just looked at my logs and it doesn't look like I've made more progress than 2.5kg per month with GSLP on the bench and press.. so maybe it's all the same in terms of progress.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #936
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Don't think too much. Just pick one option and put your head down and go to work.

If your bench and press have only been gaining by 2.5kg per month anyway, my vote is to jump straight into plain 5/3/1 and not get cute with things. Find one of the good assistance templates like BBB or the triumvirate and go with it.

I'd also recommend taking a look at your technique on bench and press--gains that slow sound pretty odd.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #937
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

I switched from GSLP to 5/3/1 earlier this year for the same reason and found that it killed my presses. I would have been perfectly happy with the normal 5/3/1 monthly increases but instead my bench stalled and overhead press regressed. I have since switched back to GSLP for the presses similar to the hybrid programs others have suggested and it has been working great for me. Our numbers are in the same territory so you might see similar results.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #938
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sounds like an n=1 thing....my bench and press have continued to progress very well on 5/3/1, even after I'd stalled out at the same press weight two consecutive times on GSLP.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #939
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Sounds like an n=1 thing....my bench and press have continued to progress very well on 5/3/1, even after I'd stalled out at the same press weight two consecutive times on GSLP.
Might not happen THAT often that people get weaker on 531, but I've read several people report that issue after a few cycles on it. Might not be common, but I've never heard it for other programs GSLP. In the end it could be that with some people it simply doesn't work well, no?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #940
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
I took a quick look at your training log and it looks like your bench and press are a bit beyond Will's and mine. Where were you at when you stalled on GSLP? I would expect GSLP to stall out eventually for everyone and a more advanced program like 5/3/1 to be beneficial. I think there is some gray area between programs like GSLP and 5/3/1 where the GSLP progress is slowing down but the weights aren't quite heavy enough to benefit from 5/3/1. It doesn't hurt to transition some of the lifts over while sticking with what is working for the others.