CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Nathan Schnur

Profile:
Question Looking for some advice

Hey guys- I stumbled onto Jenny Labaw's site the other day and it had an interesting 'Performance Nutrition' section

http://www.jennylabaw.com/performance-nutrition/ (WFS)

basically it recommends:

Protein: 1g/lbs LBM
Carb: 2-4g/ lbs LBM
Fat:: 1.5(maintenance)-2g/ lbs LBM

Now I am not at all an expert (hence this post), but protein seems right on, carbs seem right on, but fat...? that seems really high to me (200lb guy= 300g fat?!!)

Also, I saw on Twitter today that Matt Chan said he is at 19 blocks with 1x Fat. This seems to be on the total opposite end of the spectrum (133g Pro, 171g Carb, 28.5g Fat). That seems really really low for a guy like him.

I guess I'm asking if either/which of these is correct or more realistic? I'm 6'1", 198# and 6.5% BF (as of 1/9/13), but my strength is pretty worthless. Should I adapt something like Labaw's site is recommending? just seems like a lot of fat (not that I have a problem with Guac, PB, and bacon). Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks y'all
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Looking for some advice

The link says 1-2g/lb of LBM for carbs, not 2-4.

Diet is pretty individual so give both methods a try and see which one works better for your goals. For me, Jenny's recommendation is way too much fat, I do better with moderate-low fat and higher carbs. But play around with your breakdown and see how it goes. What are your goals anyway?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Part of the problem with prescribing nutritional protocols is that a) each individual responds differently and b) it takes a while (patience) for things to change. There are so many variables that come into play.

How did you find out your BF%? No offense, but I doubt that you're really that lean. Second, what are your goals? What are your strength levels at? How strong do you really want to be?

The body is amazing at finding its equilibrium, or set point, and if you want to see changes you will to work hard.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

"The link says 1-2g/lb of LBM for carbs, not 2-4."

Oops! I knew that, totally screwed up typing it in. I was probably thinking 200-400 grams for me. my bad

"How did you find out your BF%? No offense, but I doubt that you're really that lean."

Haha! I was pretty shocked too! I had a skin fold test done (repeated 4x and averaged) by a very competent trainer. I know it can be off by +/-3%, but I'm pretty lean, probably as a result of under eating.

"Second, what are your goals? What are your strength levels at? How strong do you really want to be?"

I definitely want to be a lot stronger since my lifts are:
Back squat: 285
Clean: 245
Snatch: 175
Press:175
And I can hit like 4 hspu

I know form is a lot of all those lifts but I also feel that I could use some muscle.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post
Hey guys- I stumbled onto Jenny Labaw's site the other day and it had an interesting 'Performance Nutrition' section

basically it recommends:

Now I am not at all an expert (hence this post), but protein seems right on, carbs seem right on, but fat...? that seems really high to me (200lb guy= 300g fat?!!)

Also, I saw on Twitter today that Matt Chan said he is at 19 blocks with 1x Fat. This seems to be on the total opposite end of the spectrum (133g Pro, 171g Carb, 28.5g Fat). That seems really really low for a guy like him.

I guess I'm asking if either/which of these is correct or more realistic? I'm 6'1", 198# and 6.5% BF (as of 1/9/13), but my strength is pretty worthless. Should I adapt something like Labaw's site is recommending? just seems like a lot of fat (not that I have a problem with Guac, PB, and bacon). Just looking for some guidance.

Thanks y'all
as for the examples listed, they have nothing to do with you b/c both of those individuals are already at a high level and probably just maintaining their weight. Chan is also getting older so he likley needs a little less, plus his strength levels and mass are already high and he might even be trying to lose a little weight to help with bodyweight stuff. as a side note, even though fat blocks are 1.5 it is because it "assumes" at least 1.5 from your protein or carb sources, so actually a complete fat block is 3 which means chan is getting more like 55-60g a day. i agree it does seem low for a guy like him, but then who knows how accurate that is just b/c he put it on twitter. anyway, in your situation, you need to gain muscle and strength, plus you are already lean and young meaning you probably have a high metabolism, so you need to eat accordingly. the first place to start is to figure out how many calories you need on a daily basis and then you can adjust the macro however you want to meet that instead of trying to figure out a certain amount of macro per lb of bodyweight. pick a good program that meets your goals. then pick a diet. then do both for at least a month to give them time to work. if after a month you haven't gained any weight or aren't feeling good as far as energy, recovery, workouts, etc, then bump calories up 500-1000 a day and do that for a month. i would start with at least 1.5g protein per pound of weight and make up the difference with whatever balance of carbs and fats you like. if you find you need more calories, fat is the easiest way to bump up calories quickly, which is likely the case with the example of jenny lebaw. so as an example, if you wanted to start with 3000 calories a day, you would go with 300g protein, which is 1200 calories, and then from there you are left with 1800 to get from any combo of carbs and fat you like. it may take a bit to figure out if you respond better to higher carbs or higher fat or a nice balance. it will probably also depend on what type of training you are doing. for what it is worth, CFFB recommends 15 to 20 calories per pound for gaining. which puts you between 3000 and 4000 a day. i would start with 3000 and see how it goes. as lean as you are you aren't going to get fat anytime soon.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post

basically it recommends:

Thanks y'all
Neither is correct.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

IOC.org - Nutrition for Athletes.

IAAF.org - Nutrition for Athletics.

British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheet: Sport.

*All links wfs*
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
pick a good program that meets your goals. then pick a diet. then do both for at least a month to give them time to work. if after a month you haven't gained any weight or aren't feeling good as far as energy, recovery, workouts, etc, then bump calories up 500-1000 a day and do that for a month. i would start with at least 1.5g protein per pound of weight and make up the difference with whatever balance of carbs and fats you like. if you find you need more calories, fat is the easiest way to bump up calories quickly, which is likely the case with the example of jenny lebaw. so as an example, if you wanted to start with 3000 calories a day, you would go with 300g protein, which is 1200 calories, and then from there you are left with 1800 to get from any combo of carbs and fat you like. it may take a bit to figure out if you respond better to higher carbs or higher fat or a nice balance. it will probably also depend on what type of training you are doing. for what it is worth, CFFB recommends 15 to 20 calories per pound for gaining. which puts you between 3000 and 4000 a day. i would start with 3000 and see how it goes. as lean as you are you aren't going to get fat anytime soon.
Thanks Andrew! Yes I realize that Twitter is not official, it was just something I saw and found interesting. I will plan on aiming for 3k cals starting today (normally I think im somewhere near that...?).

I have a program I am following (Catalyst Athletics Leg strength cycle) which is focusing on my biggest weakness. I'll try to figure out how I want to really split the fat/carb ratio later tonight once I have some time to plan things out.

@ Darryl-- As always I greatly appreciate the quality sources, I will read them in depth tonight when I get some time.

Thanks guys, I'll be back tonight (with more questions i'm sure)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Have you ever done a linear progression? Like greyskull or starting strength?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

@ Robert, no I have not followed an LP. I started with sealfit, then did my own thing for a while, got on outlaw, got hurt (may), and since around thanksgiving I've been able to get back to nearly 100% as far as performing all the movements.

I know form is contributing too, but it seems like I just dont have the strength, looking at your numbers, you are far and away from me.

My totals for today are:
Fat= 93g
Carbs=307
Protein=241
Total calories= 3060
going to try to keep this up for a while and see what happens. I'm also going to try to post more form videos and try to get some advice on that.

Thanks guys
Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i would strongly recommend getting on an LP for a while to get your strength up. there are many that are simple, allow you to work in some OLY, and allow you to throw in some short metcons. the best way to get your lift numbers up is to lift. it will also do good things for your body comp, hormones, metabolism, etc. get stronger and gain muscle. you clean, snatch, and press are decent but your back squat is way weak compared to your clean? what is your deadlift? what is your bench?