CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Scott Joyce

Profile:
hey everyone!!

i do the CFWU b/4 the WOD, but i was wondering what people do for a quick warm up b/4 the warm up or just jump right in.

also, what do you all do for strecthing and flexibility and for cool downs. after the WOD my HR is up and i tend to walk for a while. any advice or ideas would be helpful

thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Scott,

I usually warm up with a few minutes (10-15) of cardio and then some stretching. I hit the entire body, top down, paying attention to shoulders, low bak, and legs. I then roll into the Crossfit Warm up and run through 2 or so sets of this. You can find the warm up in the FAQ's section of the Crossfit Homepage. Modify it to your work out, dependent upon what exercises you will be doing, or even add a couple of your own. I finish off with some type of in motion cool down for a few minutes and/or if time permits, I work on other exercises I may not be so competent at yet, using a light wieght, slow reps, and concentrating on form. I usually stretch again later in the evening while I am watching some mindless TV show before heading to work. All of this helps my recovery and keeps me from sustaining injuries. Hope this helps some, I am sure other CF'ers will have some great advice as well. Pick and choose what works best for you. Take care.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
I usually jump rope for a few minutes or get on the C2 rower for a 500 meter. You always want to do a general warm-up and then a specific warm-up (which the CFWU will cover nicely).

For cool down, I usually walk it off a little and do some stretching. Check out Skills and Drills for some great stretching tips:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/stretching
Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Scott Joyce

Profile:
thanks Ian, i kind of do some of that, buthave been jumping into the CFWU a little to quickly i can tell.
thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Scott Joyce

Profile:
thanks krista
Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Preferably, bounce on trampouline. Do some handstands and forward, shoulder, and candlestick rolls. Hang from a bar. Yoga pushups ( mainly just to help get the back loosened up ). Some cartwheels, perhaps or jumping jacks.
Roll out ankles, pop things, neck stretch.

Cool down, usually is bounce some more trampouline ( not really doing any skills ).
Seal stretch
skin the cat stretch on floor
Bridge
Upside down pike stretch ( yoga plow? )
Pike stretch
Straddle stretch
Splits front and middle
Wrists
Perhaps some theraband jumps so I can improve my dynamic ROM. Rarely though and it shows.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I just do Coach Burgener's snatch drill, sometimes preceded by some of Pavel Tsatsouline's super joints drills (dynamic range of motion stretches, wrist, ankle, hip circles, shaking out spine, arms circles, 'the egyptian,' leg swings, etc.)

Why do cardio before working out?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Jeff Haas

Profile:
I get on the bike for a few minutes,rowing machine for a few minutes,some dynamic stretching.Do the Wod,as best as I can, than do some pretty intense isometric stretching if I feel OK. If not I'll do some light stretching to cool down
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Ian Carver

Profile:
Ross,

I do some cardio before the WOD to help me get in the game. I get a sweat going, get the joints and muscles loosened/lubed up, and get the blood flow going. All of this helps alleviate the chance of injury, like a strain, sprain, or tear, due to my body being tense and "cold". Even stretching, if done too aggressively on an unprepared body, can cause injury. I hate being hurt and out of the game due to injury, so this keeps me in one piece. My cardio is nothing severe, I know that's coming with the CF WOD. I just try and get in about 10 minutes of warm up at around 110-120 BPM HR. I can go from there, recover a bit, and into the stretch and workout without feeling burnt already.

Where I can find the Pavel Tsatsouline joint drill info? I wouldn't mind checking that out.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Ian,

I learned from a guy I knew in college... the only source I know for it is the Super Joints book or DVD.

Pavel's take on warm-up is that the warm-up is for the joints rather than for the muscles, and for the CNS more than for either of these. This goes along with his insistence that you refrain from passive stretching (holding a position) or contract-relax stretching, until after the workout.

So I don't do any cardio or hold any stretches before training--I just do ankle, wrist, knee, arm and hip circles and trunk rotations, if I want to, followed by overhead squats with a broomstick, cossacks (sometimes called '1/2 splits--1 foot in a squat, other in a side split) with a broomstick overhead. Sometimes I also do wierd oly variations with a broomstick--split cleans, squat jerks, various combinations of squatting, overhead squatting, snatch balances, and presses behind the neck, etcetera. All dynamic.