CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Gary Taubes Lecture

I posted this in a response to a thread in fitness, but thought it would do better in nutrition so i am posting it here also hope no one is too upset with me about it :-P

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41487661765149 (W/F/S)

This lecture clip was posted on the main site the other day and is very informative and useful for understanding diet and how people get fat. It is one hour and 10 min so kinda long, but well worth it!

The most informative part of the whole thing is the explanation that the classic model of: E_total = E_in - E_out is very misunderstood. Energy_in and Energy_out ARE NOT INDEPENDANT!!!! You cannot change one without changing the other. Your body automatically controls for BOTH variables. If you eat less you body slows you down and you get more lathargic and muscle is deteriorated, if you workout more you get really hungry and eat more. The fact that you gain or loose weight is controled by your body, which is controled by insulin. And insulin levels are controled by Carbohydrates. So carbohydrates increase insulin which increases fat storage. by eating carbs your body is told to increase fat stores so you eat more and are more sedentary, not the other way around!!!

Another way to think about it is this model: Children during a growth spurt get very hungery and eat all the time. They get hungry BECAUSE they are growing, not they eat a lot and then grow a ton. It simpily does not work that way. so if it doesnt work that way growing up, it is the same for growing out.

Anyways watch the clip if you can it is awsome and very informative, i am definantly going to buy his book after having seen that, the guy is Garry Taubes i think?

-Robert
Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: Gary Taubes Lecture

Insulin also causes muscle cells to pull in glucose. That's why bodybuilders use it in combination with hgh and igf-1 to promote muscle gain. It's also related to the premise of spiking insulin after a workout. So saying insulin = fat isn't the whole story.

There are other things that are oversimplified, BUT, I like his overall message so I don't want to sound like a detractor.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Gary Taubes. I'm rereading it now. The book is Good Calories, Bad Calories.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Insulin also causes muscle cells to pull in glucose. That's why bodybuilders use it in combination with hgh and igf-1 to promote muscle gain. It's also related to the premise of spiking insulin after a workout. So saying insulin = fat isn't the whole story.

There are other things that are oversimplified, BUT, I like his overall message so I don't want to sound like a detractor.

Insulin will cause red blood cells, muscle, fat cells, and others to absorb glucose out of the blood. I don't suppose you happen to know how much of it goes where and how you can, if possible, influence where it goes, do you?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Drugs (testosterone, hgh, igf-1) will have the greatest impact on nutrient partitioning. But there are natural ways to manipulate it to a smaller degree. Intense exercise, depletions, carb cycling, etc. Grab a copy of Lyle MacDonald's UD2.0 ... I don't necessarily agree with the methods, but there's a ton of good info on the roles that certain hormones play when manipulating exercise and nutrition.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Kannon Smith

Profile:

After watching this I have a few questions regarding insulin, if anyone would be kind enough to let me know the answer.

Does any activity of insulin result in fat storage or is it only at a certain level?

Based on that answer I want to know why I should be eating Carbs? I have heard that certain brain functions rely on them... I am unsure if that is true. Because based on nothing but that video it seems like carbs are evil.

I, as of now, am zoning and have often been cycling between using Robb Wolfe's method of cutting carbs and adding fat and using a strait zone ratio. In order to see if I have changes in my energy levels. I just stated this week so I haven't been able to tell quite yet.

So do carbs do nothing but stimulate insulin which leads to fat storage?

If someone who has knowledge of any sort of information regarding this could please just talk I'd like to read.

Thanks

Last edited by Kannon Smith; 04-24-2008 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: hit enter on accident had more questions
Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Quote:
Does any activity of insulin result in fat storage or is it only at a certain level?

Based on that answer I want to know why I should be eating Carbs? I have heard that certain brain functions rely on them... I am unsure if that is true. Because based on nothing but that video it seems like carbs are evil.

I, as of now, am zoning and have often been cycling between using Robb Wolfe's method of cutting carbs and adding fat and using a strait zone ratio. In order to see if I have changes in my energy levels. I just stated this week so I haven't been able to tell quite yet.

So do carbs do nothing but stimulate insulin which leads to fat storage?
Your brain relies on a constant supply of glucose. No glucose, no brain. In addition, you need to maintain blood glucose at a concentration near a set point for other functions, which I believe is about 90mg/100mL. Therefore you need carbs.

Now, if you have too much carbs at one point and your blood glucose concentration goes over 90mg/100mL, then insulin will be released to take up excess glucose from the blood stream and store it as glycogen in the liver. That glycogen is either then expended for energy within 24 hours or else stored as fat. If your glycogen stores are full then it will simply be stored as fat.

The problem with eating very simply carbs/high GI foods is that all the sugar is released at once, so your body releases a massive amount of insulin to counteract that. It depletes all the blood sugar, leaving you with a low concentration of blood sugar instead and thus leaving you with a craving for more carbs so that you can be in homeostasis again. With low GI foods the sugar is released more slowly, so your body does not release as much insulin. But anyway, I digress.

There is some research that indicates your body could do just fine on ketones from a ketogenic diet, aka very-low carb (20-40g carbs, i.e. Atkins) but I don't know too much about that part. Check this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30817 for more info on it.

Last edited by Bonny Guang; 04-24-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny Guang View Post
Your brain relies on a constant supply of glucose. No glucose, no brain. In addition, you need to maintain blood glucose at a concentration near a set point for other functions, which I believe is about 90mg/100mL. Therefore you need carbs.
Color me skeptical. What about those societies that survive on essentially only meat? There seems to be plenty of evidence the brain can use ketones instead of glucose (see (w/fs) here for one example).
Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Insulin also causes muscle cells to pull in glucose.
That is very true and a lot of what is talked about is oversimplified. Insulin causes different responses at different times in your body. After intense workout your body experiences a large insulin spike, not caused by carbs. It is during this spike that a vast majority of blood glucose is stored in the muscles as glycogen. But a insulin spike driven by carbs does not cause a significant amount of glucose to get driven into the muscles. This is why you should eat your highest carb meal right after workout (well within an hour or so preferably)

Hormonal regulation in the body is a very tricky thing that even experts are still often struggling to understand, so much of what is going to be told to the public will be simplifications.

And no carbs are not evil, they are healthy to eat, just not in excess.

-Robert
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
Ed Flood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny Guang View Post

Now, if you have too much carbs at one point and your blood glucose concentration goes over 90mg/100mL, then insulin will be released to take up excess glucose from the blood stream and store it as glycogen in the liver. That glycogen is either then expended for energy within 24 hours or else stored as fat. If your glycogen stores are full then it will simply be stored as fat.

The problem with eating very simply carbs/high GI foods is that all the sugar is released at once, so your body releases a massive amount of insulin to counteract that. It depletes all the blood sugar, leaving you with a low concentration of blood sugar instead and thus leaving you with a craving for more carbs so that you can be in homeostasis again. With low GI foods the sugar is released more slowly, so your body does not release as much insulin. But anyway, I digress.

There is some research that indicates your body could do just fine on ketones from a ketogenic diet, aka very-low carb (20-40g carbs, i.e. Atkins) but I don't know too much about that part. Check this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30817 for more info on it.
Hmmm, in the absence of glucose, ketones can act as a fuel source for the brain and apparently they are as effective as or more effective than glucose in that role (I forget where I read this, it may have been from mike eades' blog). That being said, the liver is more than capable of manufacturing glucose...