CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
William Brownley

Profile:
I thought I would open this up for discussion, as I am snowed in and have always wanted to see what others thought on this topic. I am a native Virginian, and have played a wide variety of competitive sports. However, I believe that rugby is the most complete and athletically demanding team sport that exists. I will defend this later (if anyone cares), but I just wanted to throw the statement out for now and see what others thought. Remember, I said team sport. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
crew ranks up there. either 4 man or 8 man shells
Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
William Brownley

Profile:
I think crew is tough as well. However (and please excuse any ignorance here, as crew is not a sport I have ever done)my perception is that crew requires strength, endurance and coordination in terms of doing essentially the same thing in concert with 3-7 other rowers over and over again. Rugby requires strength, endurance, coordination, speed, contact, kicking, ball handling, and acting in concert with 14 other players in a constantly changing tactical and strategic environment where your role and actions may change dramatically from one moment to the next. The endurance demands are not as constant, but are more akin to repeated bursts of activity with small amounts of relative rest in between. If you play in the pack, a game if well played is sprint, strength event, sprint, strength event, brief rest, repeat.
Also, I don't know the time duration of crew events, but I do know rugby is two halves of 40 minutes each with a continuosly running clock. When a team plays together, it is a beautiful thing to either watch or participate in. When they don't--its like the old school yard game of kill the guy with the ball. But--as I said I have never done crew.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I am a bit biased, but my vote goes to rugby. For the above reasons, and it is a thing of beauty when played well. The sponteneity and creativity of open field play can be breathtaking.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Darren Coughlan

Profile:
Having played it for 14 years, I'll give my unbiased opinion and say that rugby union is a great and complete game:msn-wink:

There is a position for all body types, and every one of the positions plays a key part in the team success.

The amount of 'play' during the halves depends on the level of the players. Lower grade games only have about 35 to 45 mins of actual play during a full game becuause of stopages due to their higher error rate and relying on a 'kicking' game to gain field position.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
William Brownley

Profile:
Darren and Andy, I am biased as well, as I love rugby, but I grew up playing the typical US teams sports at a reasonably high level. Football, soccer, basketball, lacrosse. Baseball was just too slow. But, putting my bias aside, I still can't think of an argument for another team sport that is as complete. In the states we continually push for soccer to become a national sport. If they would just take the money they spent for that preening ****** Beckham and invested in a US pro rugby league, I think you would see rugby become intensely popular quickly.
The sport has everything we love-violence, drama, teamwork, speed, and is a sport that reveals character. I like to imagine Terrell Owens playing rugby. I don't think he would last long.
By the way Darren, I agree on your assessment of levels of play, but that is still a lot more action than football, basketball, or soccer ever has.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Matt Fullerton

Profile:
Rugby requires everything that pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey, and pro soccer require- agility, strength, speed, accuracy, endurance, coordination and a heck of a lot of team awareness. I have played football, baseball, soccer, track and field, and MMA, but by far the rugby team I play with now are more rounded athletes.

Or they would be if they stopped drinking like fish... :puke0000:
Old 02-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Mark Miller

Profile:
Another ruggger here saying that I agree. There was alot of talk on a thread about 3 months ago about sports which were rated on different levels. Upsetting to me was the fact that rugby got beat out by some "softer" sports. I have neverbeen involved with crew but had a mate who did and he said that rugby was the most physically challenging sport he had ever particiapted in. If anyone wants some validation go to Fox sports website and look up rugby. You can see video and pictures of some of the best players in the world. Right now the Super 14 is going on and the Six nations was a few weeks ago. As far as rugby in the USA its gaining popularity. Remember soccer 20 years ago, thats where rugby is at today in USA. Problem now is unfamiliarity with the game, as well as, not enough commercial time for corporate sponsors. Out!!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Darren Coughlan

Profile:
If there is anyone in the New York area they should search out Rugby League, I've played it aswell. Its a different game [rules] to rugby union. We call the two codes League and Rugby/union in Australia.

League is similar to rugby but has no rucking, mauling, line-outs, or contested scrums. When tackled, you are aloud to stand to your feet and play the ball, you get six tackles to score [like NFL's 4 downs].

Because of less technical skill required for the game, most positions require the same body type. A couple of running backs, kick returner from an NFL team and the rest are just athletes :wink:

If there's anyone out there [US] looking for a 32y.o. 5/8 or fullback let me know!!!

:biggrinthumb:
Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
What about Curling? All that scrubbing of the ice? It's pretty cold in there too.....