CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Maggie O'Neil

Profile:  
Hi Laura. I went to the Brand X site- can I ask a couple of questions?
Do they routinely post the buttercup/puppy workouts here? and how are they different from the kids workouts?
How do you do the modified pull ups?
Thanks so much!
Maggie
I did the kids workout today- but I can't post on that sites board (for support, etc.)- and I really need the encouragement/communication with others like me- so for that reason- I'd like to start the Brand X workouts. Make sense?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Maggie!
Definitely, you can ask any questions. Jeff and Mikki also post here and will be better at some answers than me since they are the Brand X proprieters - I'm an avid student.

Jeff posts the puppy and buttercups along with pack and big dawg for each WOD but sometimes he is not able to post before the east coast folks are online. I saw him recommmend working a day or two behind the WOD so that will help you get the modified W/O before you are ready to actualy do that one.

The kids workouts are specifically created for kids, and incorporate modified workouts, playing games and skill work to help kids develop their skills as well as getting a good workout while having a good time. Jeff and Mikki can probably explain more - they are out of the country right now, but they have been popping in. The kids classes are fun and challenging - I think that's why I think they are good for beginners as well as kids.

The buttercup workouts tend to incorporate one or two key exercises from the WOD and a cardio exercise to make sure the beginner gets a good workout - so they can focus on form and not worry about time. Puppy workouts vary from using transitions exercises or subsitutions for the core exercises - assisted pullups, box pushups, shorter runs etc. or just having fewer rounds or reps. Weights are usually very low to focus on form and still get intensity for the workout.

There are several ways to do modified pull ups: One is to do jumping pull ups, by standing on a box and jumping to the bar then letting your self down slowly. Another is to do ring rows: with olympic rings hung about waist high, grip the rings and lean back with your feet extended out in front of you. Lower yourself til your arms are fully extended then pull yourself up again. The CrossFit for Kids issue for April has pullup variations for working up to unassisted. There is a description of "Beginner Pull Ups". There's a link on the front of the Brand X website.

Please do sign up for the Brand X forum. Lots of very helpful people there. All of the trainers post there and answer any questions. Lots of support from other CrossFitters on the message board as well. Feel free to email me from my profile.

Whew! That ended up long! :-) I hope it helps and I'm sure others will chime in if I haven't got it exactly right.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
Maggie O'Neil

Profile:  
Thanks so much Laura, I will definetly sign up for Brand X forum. And thank you SCOTT- (If you hadn't posted I would have probably quit Crossfit because I don't know how to modify things on my own.) The regular WOD was totally overwhelming- there is also so much lingo to learn in addition to the physical part. The suggestion I found here to do the puppies or buttercups are perfect for me!
Thanks so much again for your time Laura!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
Laura Rucker

Profile:
No problem! :-)
Old 04-20-2006, 02:08 AM   #15
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Maggie,
I am having trouble posting off my wireless connection here in London, so I'm glad Laura has answered most of your questions. Mikki and I post a scaled version of the main page CrossFit WOD on our website every day. We also have several trainers that post scaled version as well. Feel free to ask questions if you aren't clear on an exercise or an appropriate sub. We post the scaled version to help people get started. So please make use of it.
Also we do recommend following a couple of days behind at first. That way if you want to do extra skill work you can plan it around the next days exercises. The direct link is here: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 AM   #16
Scott Joyce

Profile:
Man, is this place awesome or what? Thanks everyone for the help. i was trying to scale them back, but they are quite daunting for my wife. However, eventhough she is mad at me through the workout, haha, she is giving it all she has. We are both eating in the zone now and are amazed. I just cannot believe the results in such a short period, as well as, how motivated we are through the community here. I have not checked out Brand x yet but am heading there after i post this. thanks everyone for being so supportive and helpful.

Patrick, Jen and I are in Houston as well. I work for HFD, and there are a few guys that I know that do the Xfit program. send me an email or post back. i wish they had a gym here in houston. anybody know if they are planning on buidling one here? 4th largest city in America, and was and is one of the fattest cities in America. Hmmmm
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #17
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
that is awesome that you guys are both in Houston. You could get together and do group workouts. I find that working out with other people really motivates me.