CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Scott Joyce

Profile:
hey, i saw some stuff on here a while back for WODs for women starting out. I am driving my wife crazy talking about all this, but she is just getting back into the workout scene. should she be doing modified versions of WOD or is there some kind of workout that is a good starter area for women? i know a lot of women here do the WoD, but i saw on here a post or link for someone to go for a woman starting crossfit.
thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Scott, I started on modified CrossFit workouts at Brand X almost 2 years ago. Check out the message forum for good versions of the WOD for beginners of either gender!

http://forums.brandxmartialarts.com

Go to the CrossFit WOD topic.

Also, go to the CrossFit topic for some really inspiring testimonials from many of the women of Brand X.

(Message edited by laurar on April 18, 2006)
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Scott Joyce

Profile:
Thanks so much laura. Jen is pumped to get going. I wish there was a crossfit in houston, We appreciate your help!
thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Scott Joyce

Profile:
question: if you cannot do the whole WOD, how would you approach modifying it without changing it too much?

i.e. today's: walk mile instead of run kind of thing?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
run as much as you can and then walk the rest.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Scott Joyce

Profile:
thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Scott, You need to change the workout enough to meet the capabilities of each person. We provide a place to start at http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16 which Laura pointed out. Often WODs like Murph will destroy a new person. Even 100 ring rows in place of 100 pull ups to many new people will be too much.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Patrick O'Neil

Profile:
Same exact thing here. My wife had a baby 10 weeks ago- lost the weight but feels like she's lost all muscle tone and strength. Can't do 1 pushup or pull up- could before baby. I talk about it all the time and she knows how much I love it-she came out and did Monday's workout with me. Had a pretty hard time- we modified quite a bit. (8 burpies with push ups on knees, and about 10 of everything else with 5 pound weights)-only did 1 round. Very sore today. She was excited though to see what today's workout was, but then got a little discouraged when she saw it. She's looking at crossfit for kids and doing their workout today. We live in Houston- Kingwood- Where do you live? It would be great of they could help each other out.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
What Jeff and Jeannette said :-) I started out very deconditioned. VERY. I did puppy workouts for a while and now pack is my main mode of operation - but getting more and more Big Dog workouts in.

Cut reps in half or quarters and modify the exercises your wife can't do. Use PVC in place of barbells for OLY lifts, and light dumbells for the other types of lifts.

The forum has excellent examples. Check it out and you'll see it's very easy to see how it works.

Almost anyone will want to start with buttercup or puppy versions until they are comfortable with the exercises and can do them with intensity. Even folks in pretty good condition will be challenged with the modified workouts!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Patrick, I think the Kids CrossFit workouts are really good for beginners as well. Good idea.

Good luck to both of your wives. I love this stuff.