CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
Wayne Eddy

Profile:  
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to CF. I started at Crossfit Boston about 2 months ago now and am seeing some really great results. I had some extra time this weekend so went to Home Depot, purchased some PVC piping and made a set of parallettes. Is it normal for my palms to really hurt when trying to hold myself in a L tuck? If so, will this be something my hands get used to?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Welcome to CF, Wayne!
Yes, with continuous practice, your hands will adapt to the pressure.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Scott Joyce

Profile:
not to jump in and ask a question. i'm brand new so please excuse my ignorance. i can't figure out how to start a new topic.

i did have a question: i just started and I am having tons of trouble with the L pullup as you can imagine. What's the best way to handle this?
also, 5 rounds for time? does that mean total workout or just each round? is the goal not to rest much in between rounds and i am pretty sure you're not suppossed to rest in between exercises? sorry for so many questions?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
Hi Scott and welcome to Crossfit. You're gonna love it!

As far as starting a new thread, simply go to the bottom of the page where the various threads are listed within the subject headings. At the bottom you'll see a "new thread" link. Click it and you're off to the races.

5 rounds for time means you should time the entire time it takes to complete the entire workout. That being said, some people find it helpful to note how long it takes to complete each round and whether or not their sets were broken. Ultimately you want to be getting your overall times down which shows an improvement in strength, edurance, stamina, technique, etc. or all of the above.

Rest when you have to, but remember that these workouts are meant to be intense to illicit a metabolic change in your body.

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Scott Joyce

Profile:
thanks for the info. just finshed the today WOD, man....about threw up a couple of times, but kept pushing. i did the CFWU and it's sad to say that my body needs it too. Thanks for the welcome, and really enjoying the community here.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
Wayne,

What diameter PVC did you use? I made mine from 1.5 inch PVC and they don't hurt my hands.

Scott,

The timed workouts you want to finish as quickly as possible. You basically rest at any point during any exercise when you need to.