CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Kannon Smith

Profile:
Superiority of Carbohydrates

What is it that makes one carbohydrate better than another?

Why is three cups of broccoli better than an apple?

An apple better than some oatmeal?

Oatmeal better than a bagel?

Why are veggies > all other sources?

I’m not claiming this is wrong… I believe it is right… But why? Why aren’t all carbohydrates equal? What gives veggies superiority over all other carbohydrates? Why do I eat a pound and a half of veggies a day instead of a few apples, oranges and some pineapple?

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Robert Austin

Profile:
Re: Superiority of Carbohydrates

Kannon
Well from all my reading the basic reason that veggies are better than other carbs is based on the insulin spike that they cause, or rather the relative limited insulin spike. See the more refined or simple(that is closer to straight glucose, fructose or sucrose) a carb is, the higher the insulin spike it causes will be. As such vegetables which contain far fewer amounts of simple sugars and more complex carbs cause a smaller insulin spike.
Regulating insulin is the key to proper health. If someone constantly eats simple carbs i.e. bread pasta candy sugar soda etc.. their insulin will be at a constantly elevated level which at a minimum may lead to insulin resistance(your cells become unresponsive to insulin) which leads to type 2 diabetes.
Of course there is a lot more to all this, but I would recommend reading up on it yourself. Some very good books on the subject are Entering the Zone and Mastering the Zone, both by Barry Sears. And a very good book full of info and very well documented is the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
Hope that helps
Rob
Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I haven't read it yet myself, but it's my understanding that "Good Calories, Bad Calories," as mentioned by Robert, is an excellent base to start learning this sort of thing.

The Zone books touch on it in principle but not really in science or background. I'd start with Gary Taubes' book.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Aside from the other qualities of a food, one carb source differs from another mainly in how long it takes you to digest it.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:

There's also the issue of nutrient:calorie ratio. Vegetables tend to be calorically sparse and nutrient dense. Grains tend to be nutrient sparse and calorically dense. Fruit falls in the middle.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Read up on "lectins" to understand a potential downside of grains, at least for some people.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

It's all about the GLYCEMIC INDEX (how fast the carbs are processed by your GI tract) and the GLYCEMIC LOAD (how many carbs are present per unit of volume in a given source. You want a LOW glycemic index so that the carbs are absorbed more slowly, leading to a relatively slow and shallow insulin rise after a meal. You want a LOW glycemic load so that you are more full after a meal, thus not having a sense of hunger due to inadequate volume.

Some fruits (bananas) and some veggies (corn) have a high GI and a relatively high GL and are therefore not as favorable as others. In general, most processed foods have high amounts of high GI sugars such as high-fructose corn syrup; this leads to a pronounced insulin spike and is undesireable. Bread, pasta, rice, and white potatoes are all relatively unfavorable.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Glycemic load is a combination of GI and carb count. GI x grams of carbs = GL. (Actually I think you divide by 100, but whatever.)
Old 05-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Adam Snyder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Some fruits (bananas) and some veggies (corn) have a high GI and a relatively high GL and are therefore not as favorable as others.
I'd just like to note that corn is a grain, not a vegetable. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize (wfs).
Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Snyder View Post
I'd just like to note that corn is a grain, not a vegetable. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize (wfs).
Yeah, carrots would be the bad veggie.

Another thing to keep in mind is that fiber and fat lower the GI/GL of a meal, thats why ice cream isn't so bad for you and has a low GI even though its full of sugar (also full of fat). Also why you want to drink whole milk over skim milk. Whenever I cheat with a bad carb and feel guilty I pound a handful of nuts .

The higher the GI, the faster the sugar enters your blood, the higher your blood sugar, the more insulin you secrete, the more glucose gets shoved in the liver, the quicker the liver fills up, the more gets stored as fat. Heres somewhat of an explanation of what insulin does:
WFS