CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
Jay Roughton

Profile:
Re: Cheat day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris adams View Post
jay:
That's great to hear that your carb cravings diminish with time. I've been on the zone for 12 days now and I still get major sweet/carb cravings. Was there anything else that helped with getting over those cravings?
I would give myself mini goals or mini cheats. To me though they are not really even cheats because they were items listed on the CFJ # 21, I just made sure I stuck to the correct portion. For example, My evening snack would include 1 ounce dark chocolate for my carb, dipped in 1 tsp. almond butter for my fat, and whatever meat I had on hand for my protein.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
chris adams

Profile:

OMG! why didn't I think of that? that's awesome!!! so the next question would be...what kind of dark chocolate do you think is quality?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I don't ever plan for cheat days, since I never want to eat crap, and I rarely have cravings. So I don't ever plan on them and then when I'm stuck somewhere where I can't be picky or a rare craving pops up I don't sweat it and have my little cheat.

I used to drink multiple cans of dr pepper a day and crave donuts and candy constantly. I've also always loved bread, rice, and pasta all my life. I started to try to be healthier about a year ago, but it was an off and on thing. I've only been really good about it for a few months. However, now, after that short amount of time, I have no interest in soda, donuts, candy, bread, rice, or pasta. My body has finally learned that those things make me feel like crap and I don't want to eat them. I don't even really like drinking anymore. Sure, some bad things I still want, but the cravings are far more manageable and occur far less often. I was worried it'd be a life-long struggle to eat well, but it hasn't been.

In short, the longer you eat healthy, the more you'll want to eat healthy.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
chris adams

Profile:

it's good to know that others struggle with sweet cravings and that they disappear over time.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #25
Bob Guere

Profile:

Interesting study on sweet and the hypothalamus. I know, for every study there is another study... but good info nonetheless.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/82/5/1011 (WFS)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #26
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
it's good to know that others struggle with sweet cravings and that they disappear over time.
Yeah, just reading this thread I realized I haven't been eating sweets at all. Same with beer. Which I love. I think the cravings just disappeared without me realizing it.

I'm reading Mastering the Zone but I don't eat that way yet. Meat, fruit, vegetables, and nuts. But I still know there's stuff in there I shouldn't be eating like dressings and marinades.

I guess the cravings do go away.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
chris adams

Profile:

today is day 15 for me on the zone. The results I'm seeing are tremendous. dropped 4 lbs of fat and went from 12% bf to 11%. Weight loss isn't my goal as much as increased performance is. So far I've been breaking all my old PR's.

my cravings are slowly decreasing. I've noticed that meals with red meat satisfy me much more than meals with any other kind of protein. Anyone noticed this?

Also, I switched from quaker oatmeal to slow cooked oatmeal. Much better energy 3 hours later with less cravings for food.

upping blocks (as suggested by rachel a couple posts back) is helping too. went from 21 - 23.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #28
Jay Roughton

Profile:

Quote:
today is day 15 for me on the zone. The results I'm seeing are tremendous. dropped 4 lbs of fat and went from 12% bf to 11%. Weight loss isn't my goal as much as increased performance is. So far I've been breaking all my old PR's.

my cravings are slowly decreasing. I've noticed that meals with red meat satisfy me much more than meals with any other kind of protein. Anyone noticed this?

Also, I switched from quaker oatmeal to slow cooked oatmeal. Much better energy 3 hours later with less cravings for food.

upping blocks (as suggested by rachel a couple posts back) is helping too. went from 21 - 23.
That is great that you are seeing results early, it was similar for me as well. 25 lbs in 56 days I think. As you said though, weight loss is not your goal, and it was not my goal at all, I only started eating Zone to get better performances and to look better naked. I'm not a fan of upping your blocks to make it easier in the beginning, and dropping down later. Everyone is different, but I say, if you are going to drink the kool-aid, then drink it, just drink the correct amount. I jumped my fat blox up by 4 times the amount after I leaned out, and have been doing that since March 1st & I still fluctuate between 1 & 4 lbs of my lean out weight. Haven't checked my BF% lately but it was about 6-7% 4 weeks after upping my fat blox. How is the weather in Mesa?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #29
Kannon Smith

Profile:

Isn't today the 25th?

)))
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
Jay Roughton

Profile:

Well, the 25th came and went, and I had completely forgot about cheat day...That speaks to the validity of staying off the crack. I don't crave it anymore. As far as chocolate goes, I'm neurotic about enuff stuff already. I'd just as soon unwrap 6 choc. gold coins my daughter got in her Easter basket, as long as I was using the portion 1/2 ounce per block...