CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
Scott Joyce

Profile:
Good morning, it feels good to be back. I inquired last spring about some inner bicep pain I was having when doing any pulling movements. I was hoping it was tennis elbow, but unfortuantely is was a 95% torn bicep tendon. :-( just as I was starting to really get going on the WODs my training ended due to surgery. Well I am happy to say 4 months later of not being able to do much, I am back doing WODs on a much smaller and altered version as necessary.

I just wanted to say to coach and all the vetern members etc. how important and impactful CF is. It was depressing not being able to do crossfit, or anything CF related for that matter. Walking was the only thing that didnt hurt after surgery.

now, I am back to following the program with super light weights, and again building back up. My point to all this is CF is one of the backbone motivating forces behind my desire to get back to where I was and where I was heading. This program is so much fun, and the community is great. I just wanted to say hi again after being away.

Keep up the great work!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Jason Blais

Profile:
Scott -

I think I ripped my Bicep last night. I heard the distinctive POP in the elbow and can even see a distinct cosmetic difference in the bicep. Racing on the rope climb against a bunch of 12 year old gymnasts

Pain in moderate and range of motion is at about 60%.

Do I need to see the Doctor?

Hints on Rehab and/or treatment?

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Sorry to hear Jason,

See a Dr.

It may or may not need surgery, but I would have it checked anyway.

for first 48 hours R.I.C.E.
Rest
Ice(only ice the area 10-15 min at a time, several times during the day, though)
Compression (ace bandage not too tight for a few hours at a time)
Elevation (sleep with your arm slightly elevated if you can).
Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Jason Blais

Profile:
I went to the Doctor the next day. Diagnosis was Ruptured Biceps Tendon (L). I have an appointment with a local orthopedic surgeon. I will see what he has to say. Although the last instruction he gave me was to not eat or drink past midnight, because it would most likely involve surgery.

The debate is to have it done here or wait until I return from leave and have it done at my normal duty station.

Anyone else have experience with Bicep Tendon Ruptures and surgery?

Length of time out of commission?

Types of rehab?

Percent return to normalcy post surgery?

History: 38 year old male, physically fit and active pre-injury, jiu jitsu, crossfit, active duty military ...

Thanks for the help
Old 12-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
There is no reason why you should not have a complete recovery.

Listen to a good PT, do all of the moves without fail don't skip steps. Rehab should actually be quite simple after the initial post op time:

You will probably be in an immobilizer splint of some kind.

Then allowed ROM

Then progressive loading.

Now to preserve your mental health, I would suggest that you take this "opportunity" to specialize on lower body training and skills. Pick some lofty goals that do not require much arm use such as pistols, front squats (you will have to do them bodybuilder style with arms in front of you with bar on your delts), hip belt squats and BS when you can bend the arm again. Lunges with heavy pack or weight vest. Look in the old journals and exercise pages for other ideas.

Run sprints for met con when you can, modify Fran and do one handed or when able use 45lb DB in one hand and lighter db in injured arm as recovery progresses.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Jason Blais

Profile:
Craig -

Sounds like good advice.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Next appointment and possible surgery is 26 DEC

Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Jason Blais

Profile:
Surgery to re-attach the Distal portion of the Biceps tendon is scheduled for Tues.

Anyone have ideas for rehab exercises and other activities to keep me sane during the 4-6 months without Crossfit?

Already planning my running and biking routes and leg workouts.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
Jason, In '97 I was 'hung' on a bull and suffered a total detachment(ruptured at the radial tuberosity) of my left bicep.(a common bull riding injury). My bicep ended up in a big lump below my anterior deltoid. I waited until I got back home 2 days later to have my ortho fix it. I have limited ROM with supination/pronation, but I don't have any other limitations. I wish I would have known about kb's at the time. I would have improved the ROM with them, although it is next to impossible to gain full ROM after a total rupture.

One of our clients also suffered a partial rupture, like you, in September.(she also suffered an elbow fracture during the same accident) After she was released(4 wks ago) from the PT, she was 15 degrees short of full extension. The doc told her that was the best result they could achieve.

I immediately started her performing farmers walks with a light kb hanging from a band. Every week we increased the size of the kb. I also had her perform static hangs from the pull up bar with a weight lifting strap on her wrist, holding her to the bar. The strap allowed her to relax her grip and forearm, allowing for a good stretch.

She had a follow-up with the doc last week. She's improved to only 4 degrees. The doc was shocked and told her, "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it".

She's been doing full workouts and she did 20 kipping pull-ups yesterday.

You'll be good as new!!!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

Old 01-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Jason Blais

Profile:
Skip -

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately mine was a total detachment(ruptured at the radial tuberosity) of my left bicep as well.

The injury occured 21 DEC and surgery will be 09 JAN.

I would like more info on your PT program.

I have a couple of heavy KB's and need an excuse to pick up some bands. maybe my unit will foot the bill?!?

Thanks for the info and inspiration.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Jason Blais

Profile:
Surgery is completed.

Rehab begins...