CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
John Schneider

Profile:
So, I was thinking about if I ran the Marine Corps how I would run the PFT. I thought about what events would be a true test of fitness and standards that should be expected of Marines from something that would challenge even the best and establish a bottom line that would be excepted from those less adept.

Here's what I currently have,
400m run
max pull-ups
400m run
max 30lbs (sand bag) thrusters
400m run
max knees-to-elbows

Scoring:
Total time: 10:00= 100pts every 4sec lose 1pt.
Pull-ups: 20= 100pts
Thrusters: 50= 100pts
Knees-to-elbows: 20= 100pts

Each event would require a minimum of 25 pts, and a minimum of 150pts overall.

3rd class: 150-225pts
2nd: 226-300pts
1st: 301-400pts

I did it with a score of 309
11:24total-16pull-ups-50thrusters-10knees-to-elbows

I was on the ground wiped out afterwards.

If you give this one a try, let me know how you do. It shouldn't be so hard that no one can max it, but a few should be able to.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Dominick Mattioni

Profile:
I'm darn glad you weren't running the USMC PFT. I was at Parris Island in 1959 and remember you had to have 18 Pullups and I did 25. I forgot the other requirements. I think the thrusters would've killed me.

I was never good at cardio, I figured I didn't have to be, because I was a darn good shooter with the M-1.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
Excellent workout, I'll be trying that someone this week.

Now... are those Kipping pull-ups or strict?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
John Schneider

Profile:
Standards:
Pull-ups: must start from a dead hang. Kipping is allowed, but you must have full arm extension at the bottom. You may use any grip you like as long as your chin comes over the bar. You pull-ups are done when you dismount the bar.

Thrusters: Start from the standing position, go into the squat, the hips must break the plane of the knees. 1rep is when the arms are fully extended overhead. You may rest in the down position. Stopping in the standing position will cease that portion of the test.

Knees-to-elbows: starts from a dead hang. The knees must touch the arms. 1rep is completed upon returning to a fully extended upright position.

The clock continues to run throughout the exercises, so 1 pull-up or KTE= 20seconds and 1 Thruster= 8seconds so there is no advantage to cutting your reps short to save time unless you are stalled out for longer than that.

I also forgot to ask for what your "perfect PFT" would be. Remember, you are trying to create a standard as well as an asperation for our warriors that come in all shapes and sizes.
Though if they were training for an event like this, I'm sure that range of sizes would be much smaller.

A little make believe can be fun. Be sure to add your rationale for the exercise selection and the execution of your test.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:
Thanks for bringing this topic. I've thought that the Navy PT test, which is even easier than the Marines', is woefully lacking in any actual cross over into actual needs. Before I started CrossFit I actually scored in the upper range of the Navy PT test with a higher amount of body fat than I have now. You just train for the test, which is just three separate events with plenty of rest between each.

I think you have devised a decent test. I don't know what Marines do in the field, but I have always been an advocate of testing Sailors on their ability to pick up and carry heavy objects--say their body weight. I think that if you added some sort of "clean and carry"--for instance clean your body weight and move it 400 meters--that would complete your test. I mean, I'm sure Marines have to carry the wounded or heavy equipment, the same as Sailors should be expected to do.

I was also thinking that some jumping would be testable, too. Like, for instance, a vertical jump or a jump to a platform--say 50 inches being max. Moving your body over distances can be useful in any situation.

One more thing: what would the women's time / numbers be? I personally think that 50 x 65 pound thrusters would be a good goal to shoot for for men. Why limit yourself to 30 pound? A barbell is heavier than that.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
John Schneider

Profile:
I decided to keep the thruster weight low as most units don't have loads of barbells to use. I invisioned the test being conducted using sandbags. It's almost a gimme 100pts, but after 2 400's it's a little challenge and it really messes you up for the last 2 400's.

Women's standards: I haven't tested this at all yet and I'm a little hesitant to have seperate standards for someone who is expectedto do the same job. That being said, I think a 2/3 rule would be good.

Pull-ups: 3min- 12max
Thrusters: 13min- 50max done with 20lbs
KTE: 3min- 12max
Total Time: 12:00 max- 17:00min
Old 05-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Caleb Lucas

Profile:
Just to make sure no one develops misconstrued ideas about the Marine Corps, their pullups are strict, deadhang, with no kipping. I know your req's are different Mr. Schneider, just wanted everyone to know how the real APFT works.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Andrew J. Roberts

Profile:
Alright, so here's the test for my school:

All events are for 2 minutes maximum effort, 1 minute transition time (men's max listed... stop and rest if you max it until 2 mins is up):
Pull-ups: 21 (strict)
Standing Long Jump: 8'8"
Sit-up: 95 (back to floor, arms crossed chest, arms contact thigh)
Push-ups: 72 (break 90, full extension)
600 yard run: 1:35

If you max it, come up here to 7,258' ASL
Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Albert Carr

Profile:
As a former Marine and 300 PFTer I think I am gonna give this one a try this week. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
John Schneider

Profile:
So, has anyone tried it? I'm up to a 327:happy: