CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Jason Rodriguez

Profile:
New and have some questions

Hello everyone, I would like to start off by stating that I am not doing crossfit so much as I want to do crossfit. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, and I do not have access to all the equipment I need to do crossfit (Bumper plates, rings, GHD's, Rowers, Rope, etc). I have been lifting weights tho, doing a strength program centered around Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Power Clean and Press. I am however practicing the form for lifts like front squats, snatches, overhead squats, and trying to do Bar Muscle Ups in order to have a headstart when I return home and start crossfit full time. This leads me to two questions.

1. When I try to do a clean sqaut into a thruster(using light weight to work on form) I have a hard time transitioning into the press after the front squat. My rack position leaves my wrists bent back and the bar rests on 3 fingers, which makes it difficult to place the bar where I need it to press. Is this a flexibilty issue? and is there a way to help develope this part of the exercise? I read that racking properly in a clean may be difficult for people with longer forearms and this might be my problem. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. When I do a Bar Muscle Up, I am hitting the bar at the tops of my abs, and muscling up after that. This has left a huge bruise in that area and I am wondering if this is normal, and I should just tough it out till I get better at doing the muscle-up, or if I should work pull-ups more before continuing with the muscle up? Things like weighted pull ups, and pulling up to my chest. Or is doing more muscle ups going to help me progress faster even if they are not perfect yet, and causing me to bruise my abs?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and knowledge!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: New and have some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
Hello everyone, I would like to start off by stating that I am not doing crossfit so much as I want to do crossfit. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, and I do not have access to all the equipment I need to do crossfit (Bumper plates, rings, GHD's, Rowers, Rope, etc). I have been lifting weights tho, doing a strength program centered around Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Power Clean and Press. I am however practicing the form for lifts like front squats, snatches, overhead squats, and trying to do Bar Muscle Ups in order to have a headstart when I return home and start crossfit full time. This leads me to two questions.

1. When I try to do a clean sqaut into a thruster(using light weight to work on form) I have a hard time transitioning into the press after the front squat. My rack position leaves my wrists bent back and the bar rests on 3 fingers, which makes it difficult to place the bar where I need it to press. Is this a flexibilty issue? and is there a way to help develope this part of the exercise? I read that racking properly in a clean may be difficult for people with longer forearms and this might be my problem. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. When I do a Bar Muscle Up, I am hitting the bar at the tops of my abs, and muscling up after that. This has left a huge bruise in that area and I am wondering if this is normal, and I should just tough it out till I get better at doing the muscle-up, or if I should work pull-ups more before continuing with the muscle up? Things like weighted pull ups, and pulling up to my chest. Or is doing more muscle ups going to help me progress faster even if they are not perfect yet, and causing me to bruise my abs?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and knowledge!
there are numerous possible answers to number 1, impossible to know for sure without seeing you. it could be flexability, it could be your build/leverage/length of arm, it could be a form issue, it could be something minor like hand placement on bar, and most likely it is a combo of two or more of those. however, if you look at alot of people that do thrusters, especially heavy thrusters, they don't go to a full high elbow front rack for the reason you stated. they keep their hands on the bar and elbows down more, not all the way, but not as high as if just front squating. also, they tend to start to roll their elbows down and hands around about half way up.

as for number 2, i would do all of it, it's not an either/or scenario. muscleups and also regular pullups, weighted pullups, regular dips, weighted dips, etc all have their place.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yes, many people do not necessarily use the high elbow rack for preparation of their jerk. This is somewhat similar to your issue with the squat clean to thruster. However, they will typically rerack and shift after they stand up with the clean.

I'd wager that is difficult to do at the bottom of a squat clean but if it's directly connected to a thruster that's all you can really do. You could try to bounce out of the hole and squat just to parallel and back up to the hole and then rerack it to a jerk grip. Basically 1 1/4 squat for every repetition.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Jason Rodriguez

Profile:

Thanks for the solid advice. I can't wait to get back home so I can start doing this crossfit, it seems like it is right up my alley. I'll never compete or anything but I always enjoy staying as fit as possible, and I play a lot of sports for the Army, so this type of fitness is perfect. I'll work on a semi rack position with my elbows down some and see if that helps, and if I have balance issues that way, then squat clean pause and push press will work as a decent substitute. Thanks again!