CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
Weird- Sudden Inability to Consume Milk

Hi there,

(A little background first) I decided to try and make a concerted effort to gain a lot of weight (50 lbs+) after a serious breakup and so much weightloss as a result that I looked like a walking skeleton. I started this in July, gained 20 lbs quick (125 to 145 between July-Jan.). This whole thing wouldn't have been possible without my being able to handle large quantites of milk, and that is now my problem.

As of late, I have been incapable of consuming any milk in any amounts without getting the worst stomach cramps you can imagine. I can do cheeses and butters, but milk I cannont do at all now. This is very troubling because easily half of my intake would be from milk, and now that's gone. Does anyone have any guesses what the problem could be?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Weird- Sudden Inability to Consume Milk

It could be that you are lactose intolerant, that is, you have lost the enzyme that digests lactose. Since you said that the cramping, etc. occurs with any quantity of milk, it doesn't sound like you have enough to even handle small amounts of milk. Try Lactaid. It's a brand of milk made for those who are lactose intolerant.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
It could be that you are lactose intolerant, that is, you have lost the enzyme that digests lactose. Since you said that the cramping, etc. occurs with any quantity of milk, it doesn't sound like you have enough to even handle small amounts of milk. Try Lactaid. It's a brand of milk made for those who are lactose intolerant.
It does sound like he's lactose intolerant, but I thought that if your body produced the necessary enzymes to process something, you would only lose that production if it was unused for a length of time (like how some vegetarians find, if they fall off the wagon, they can't easily digest meat).

Does it seem odd to anyone else that his body would just stop producing it? Is this common and I'm in the dark? Or might it be some other factor?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Does it seem odd to anyone else that his body would just stop producing it? Is this common and I'm in the dark? Or might it be some other factor?
That's what I find weird most of all. On a good week I'd plow through a gallon each of whole and chocolate milk and have no issues whatsoever, then about 3 weeks ago I had a glass of whole that was a day expired and it was down hill from there. First it was just whole milk I couldn't handle, then chocolate, then any milk.

If I really was lactose intolerant, wouldn't that mean I wouldn't be able to handle any dairy products period? As I said earlier, I can do cheeses and butter fine. I haven't tried whey yet, though. Ice cream/shakes are a no go also.

Jose, I'll hit up the grocery and try to locate some Lactaid that you suggested. Unfortunately it appears they don't supply it to Michigan which doesn't make me too happy.

Last edited by Joffray Marcantel : 03-13-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Have you been taking antibiotics lately? It sounds like your digestive bacteria are unhappy, and antibiotics can sometimes cause that.

You might try yogurt. The natural stuff (with active cultures) can help revitalize friendly bacteria.

The sudden onset of the problem is a little worrying. Have you talked to your doctor?

Katherine
Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Jae Chung

Profile:

Lactose intolerance varies. Some people can't drink milk but can eat cheese and yogurt. Some people can eat yogurt but not cheese, etc.

So it's possible that you are lactose intolerant, or that you've developed lactose intolerance, and that you'll be able to consume cheese products, etc., just fine, while not being able to drink milk.

There are brands of lactose-free milk, but I thought that Lactaid was the brand name of the pill/tablets form of lactase. You take one or two pills with your first bite/drink of cheese/milk/whatever.

If you buy the generic version from CVS, it's not that expensive. You might also look online to see if you can get cheaper versions than the Lactaid brand.

It doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me. You might not be able to drink a whole gallon a day, but you'll be able to handle a cup or two, if it works. I would suggest starting slow and building up.

There was a lactose intolerance thread around here somewhere... if you search for it, or search google, you might find other suggestions. I vaguely remember someone suggesting other products that they found helpful.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Dave Matteson

Profile:

I'm at a loss for the sudden inability to drink milk without discomfort; I've never heard of such a quick change.

However, being lactose intolerate would partly explain why you CAN still eat cheese and yogurt. Since there's bacteria in cheese and yogurt, much of the lactose is already broken down by the little guys before it hits your digestive tract. While there is some left, and the amount varies depending on the type of yogurt and cheese, it is usually significantly less than drinking milk.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Hi Joffray
Yup it sounds like you have developed intolerance to milk products. Sometimes it can happen when you consume huge quantities of a particular food or it might be that you are predisposed to becoming Lactose intolerant.
Believe it or not people who can digest milk are not the norm & are actually the exception in relation to the world population.
Try this it normally works for anyone that develops intolerance to food. Stop consuming all milk products for 2-3 weeks get some digestive enzymes & some pro-biotic tablets. Take them as directed every day... after 2-3 weeks start drinking small amounts of milk organic whole milk or if possible raw milk 100ml 3-4 times a day for a week if you experience any pain lay off the milk for 6 weeks re-try, if u experience pain again stop drinking milk.
If you start developing pain in your stomach even when you are off the milk go to the doctor & get it checked out.
Yes Lactaid is a brand name here is the web site.
http://www.lactaid.com/page2.jhtml?i...lth/health.inc (wfs)
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Katherine- No I am not on anti-biotics nor have I recently gone off of them.

Jae- Someone had mentioned a product called Lactaid a few posts above yours and I had visited their site earlier before Todd linked it in his post. It says they sell a wide range of milk products, with the lactose broken down into glucose and galactose. I'll look for the thread you talked about. I did Google my problem and lactose intolerence specifically.

Dave- The such sudden change in my ability to handle milk does concern me. At first I thought it was just the milk I had consumed because it had expired either the day before or the day of me consuming it, so naturally I didn't think anything of it until I was unable to drink any milk at all within a few days.

Todd- I plan on going to my doctor in the near future (aka after I get home from holiday) to see what the reason could be for this problem. I did consider my consuming such large amounts of it to be a reason behind it.

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

I tried having a (whey) protein drink before breakfast today. I only managed to drink half of it before my stomach started acting up again.

I'm scheduled with the doctor for tomorrow