CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Bernd Lippert

Profile:
Home WODs with limited equipment

Couple of questions with WODs here. I am new so please bear with me. I have also embarked on purchasing my first set of home equipment which is listed below to practice some of the movement but also focus on my weaknesses.

Now as far as I can see there is not really any guidelines on creating own WODs as long as it follows the golden principle of "short and intense".

I have been browsing WODs on "The WOD Shop" (ref: wodshop.org) and there are some really excellent ones. I like the idea of having a two movement based WOD as I will be primarily doing these in the morning and evening, between my CF classes. My goal is to build strength and stamina.

Any hints or suggestion on my understanding and resources for WODs with specific equipment. Also my home WODs tend to be 30 mniutes or so with warmup. This feels very short and I normally do some kettle bell swings and air squads for warm-up.

My equipment is:

1x Men Olympic bar
2x 20 kg plates
2x 10 kg plates
2x 5 kg plates
1x 20 kg kettle bell
1x 12 kg kettle bell
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: Home WODs with limited equipment

You have most of the gear to do most of the mainpage wods, especially if you have a pullup bar. Get a set of rings to hang on the pullup bar and you will be able to do over 90% of mainpage's WOD's without modification, and the rest (of the metcon wods) with modification.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Mike Doehla

Profile:

I would say those are long wods. IMO, and I could be wrong, but WODs shouldn't always be 30 minutes. I like to stay around 12 min max since I think that's where most people can give full effort. If someone is working out for 30 min all the time the wod isn't heavy/hard enough.

You see to have enough equipment to make some good wods up. There are front squat, clean and jerk, deadlift wods with KB's, burpees, sit ups etc you could put together. I can suggest some things if you would like.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Michael Cook

Profile:

You're new to crossfit.

You're going to crossfit classes.

You've got a home gym.

You want to improve on your weaknesses.

You want to get better on strength and stamina.

My advice is to work on getting stronger at your home workouts, and leave the stamina part to your crossfit classes. Squats, deadlifts, presses, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

I often hear that Crossfit doesn't require any special equipment, just something to pull up on (weights) and pull down on (pull up bar), and something to mop up the sweat.

If only that were true...

It seems like too many programmers are overthinking things and trying to look for excuses to use different equipment. Sure, it's great to keep things varied and keep interest levels high, and people are easily distracted, so doing the same movement with two different styles of weights seems like a different exercise. BUT, it also seems like if you don't have an entire fleet of barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, rings, pull-up bars, jump boxes, Farmers walk handles, Fat Bars (axles), squat rack, jerk boxes, parallettes, sandbags, sledge hammers & tires, tractor tires.... OMG I'm tired, my garage is full, and my bank account is busted. You really don't need much equipment to properly cross train.

Think about the mechanics of certain movements, then get practical about functional substitutions. Can't think of one? Ask on here.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
I often hear that Crossfit doesn't require any special equipment, just something to pull up on (weights) and pull down on (pull up bar), and something to mop up the sweat.

If only that were true...

It seems like too many programmers are overthinking things and trying to look for excuses to use different equipment. Sure, it's great to keep things varied and keep interest levels high, and people are easily distracted, so doing the same movement with two different styles of weights seems like a different exercise. BUT, it also seems like if you don't have an entire fleet of barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, rings, pull-up bars, jump boxes, Farmers walk handles, Fat Bars (axles), squat rack, jerk boxes, parallettes, sandbags, sledge hammers & tires, tractor tires.... OMG I'm tired, my garage is full, and my bank account is busted. You really don't need much equipment to properly cross train.

Think about the mechanics of certain movements, then get practical about functional substitutions. Can't think of one? Ask on here.
This is there you're wrong imo. You don't need a ton of equipment to "crosstrain" but you need pretty much what you listed to PROPERLY train. Barbells, bumpers, pu bars, rings, boxes, kb's jump ropes, etc. Yes you can mess with a barbell and burpee your *** off but that will get old really fast.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
This is there you're wrong imo. You don't need a ton of equipment to "crosstrain" but you need pretty much what you listed to PROPERLY train. Barbells, bumpers, pu bars, rings, boxes, kb's jump ropes, etc. Yes you can mess with a barbell and burpee your *** off but that will get old really fast.
But a lot of things you can do by multipurposing things. Do you really need a pullup bar if you have rings, or vice versa? Do you need a plyo box if you can find something else to jump on (20"/24"/30" is pretty arbitrary anyway)?

You can do a whole host of things with a bar, weights and something to rack it on, a ledge, a place to run/move around and something to pull yourself up on. And you can vary it up pretty good if that's what constitutes proper training to you.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
But a lot of things you can do by multipurposing things. Do you really need a pullup bar if you have rings, or vice versa? Do you need a plyo box if you can find something else to jump on (20"/24"/30" is pretty arbitrary anyway)?

You can do a whole host of things with a bar, weights and something to rack it on, a ledge, a place to run/move around and something to pull yourself up on. And you can vary it up pretty good if that's what constitutes proper training to you.
Obviously you can but there is still a bare minimum imo.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Obviously you can but there is still a bare minimum imo.
Exactly. Do you think I'm missing anything in my list that would belong on a "bare minimum" list?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Exactly. Do you think I'm missing anything in my list that would belong on a "bare minimum" list?
Honestly not really. I'd like a KB, jump rope, and homemade med ball or something but there is no reason with your list that someone couldn't get in great shape.