CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Milton Brisson

Profile:
A Must Read - 70s Big Style!

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/w...with-crossfit/

Not quite WFS

A lot of us, including me, have been introduced to the 70s Big program on these boards. And every one here has seen the whole Crossfit vs. the world stuff that goes on as well.....

Above is a great article on CF by someone who does not have a vested interest in it, and sums just about everything up nicely!

Enjoy!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:
Re: A Must Read - 70s Big Style!

you beat me to it. great article!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Montesinos View Post
you beat me to it. great article!
Takes a pretty dim view of Glassman, it will be interesting to see the response to it on here.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I really don't get the hating on CrossFit? In other words, why did the guy feel compelled to write all of that in the first place? Does his opinion of CrossFit really matter?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
Takes a pretty dim view of Glassman, it will be interesting to see the response to it on here.
Hardly. I actually thought he was kind to him compared to other places on the web.

Face the facts, Glassman is the head/face of a multi, multi, multi million dollar company. He HAS to be political, it's part of the job. He goes to dinner and has a few drinks, is that against the law? I can not think of one business dinner where we all didn't have quite a few drinks. Sure, at times, maybe he made a few mistakes, but who hasn't? Especially when thrust into the light like this guy was? I'm sure that looking back he would admit to making some mistakes, but being the political guy he has to be, he won't come out and tell you exactly what happen, he'll just beat around the bush.

I am by NO means defending him just calling a spade a spade.

oh yeah, and in before the lock.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I really don't get the hating on CrossFit? In other words, why did the guy feel compelled to write all of that in the first place? Does his opinion of CrossFit really matter?
He gets asked about it ALL.THE.TIME. on his site since he was associated with it so closely. Other than that, he is just a blogger, and hasn't written about it much on his site.

Honestly I don't think there's much hate, but rather constructive cristitism.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
Ben Norris

Profile:

Not a bad artical at all. In fact it is quite fair and balanced and I definitely learned a few things off of it. Cheer for posting it.

The link to the 1000+ pages makes me sad though. Who would log in to hate on something for more than 1000+ pages. Surely you could use the time it takes to write "Dave Castro sucks" and read 1000+ pages to improve yourself?

I read Jays WOD log to get some good Ideas for my training, however I would not be reading 1000+ pages all saying the same thing of how much you hate Crossfit.... GET A LIFE

Also I am yet to be immortalised in Pukies bucket so I need to get atleast one post in there

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I dint really think it was that inflamatory. To me, it just seems like every new blog out there that mentions Crossfit piles on with the hate, really not knowing what they are talking about. I thought this was a good counterpoint to all of that.

The two main things I got out of it were:

- A LOT of people "hate" Glassman and Budding and co., a lot of people who dont know them, that is. The writer of this article has met them, and didnt feel the need to slam them.

- He recognized Crossfit's contribution to the sports of weightlifting and powerr lifting, how the numbers of participants in those sports have grown by being introduced through Crossfit.

I guess his opinion really doesnt matter, I just thought that some people here might be interested in it......

Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I'm sure that looking back he would admit to making some mistakes, but being the political guy he has to be, he won't come out and tell you exactly what happen, he'll just beat around the bush.
I agree with everything else you said, but this... Eh, I'm not so sure I agree. I get the impression that Glassman would deny past mistakes (disclaimer: assumption based entirely on videos/articles I've seen of/by him on the internet, so I very well may be wrong), and not without some hostility, and for this reason I'm not a huge fan of Glassman.
He just seems like the type that doesn't take criticism, constructive or not, very well... and I have heard that he hasn't hesitated to trash talk some well-known and respected names in fitness. Just look at any of the huge drama-fests that have come from his relations with Gym Jones, Mark Rippetoe, etc. etc.

I will say though: I am grateful to the man for founding Crossfit and making it as big as it is today, because it has really introduced weightlifting, kettlebell training, gymnastics, etc. to swaths of people (myself included) who may have otherwise never been aware.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Struan Potter

Profile:

Glassman is still to retract his comment about taking someone from a 250lb deadlift to 750 in 2 years while only maxing 3 or 4 times a year.