CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #271
Jim Denofa

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Why are you so opposed to someone trying to make something BETTER?

I don't care what the sport or organization is. I would still look at the risk/reward analysis. As a USAW coach, if my weightlifters kept getting injured, it would be a really good idea for me to take a look at my programming and coaching techniques, would it not? As an intelligent person, I would do that. I don't know why you think what I'm saying only applies to CrossFit.

You have your standards for what constitutes too much risk in your gym, and I have mine.
I get what you are saying, and what I am saying is: I do run CrossFit workouts at my gym and I don't have constant injuries coming out of my program. That is the disconnect here I believe. Lots of gyms have lots of people doing CrossFit and no serious injuries.

Ok, maybe we are talking about differnt things. I am talking about the activity of CrossFit, the sport. If you are not please let me know. I Love Weightlifting, I love powerlifting, I love strongman. I love pretty much any strength sport, and that is what I consider CrossFit.

Last edited by Jim Denofa : 07-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #272
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Funny most of the people that reject anecdotal evidence about injuries are the same that tout it when it comes to the benefits of Crossfit. Look a Vickie Ellison for example. She refuses to believe the anecdotal evidence that Crossfit can injure you yet wants us all to believe how awesome it is because she's in good shape now or whatever.
I never refuted the fact that people can get injured doing Crossfit.

I stated that injuries are a risk you take with any physical activity, and I don't believe that the risk is greater with Crossfit than anything else that requires similar power/speed/endurance output.

In addition, I stated that I think Crossfit is good evidenced by the fact that I am in better shape that I have ever been in my life. It's awesome for me, but nowhere in my posts will you find me touting that it would be awesome for everyone.

If you can't paraphrase my statements accurately, leave me out of your posts.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #273
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I never refuted the fact that people can get injured doing Crossfit.

I stated that injuries are a risk you take with any physical activity, and I don't believe that the risk is greater with Crossfit than anything else that requires similar power/speed/endurance output.

In addition, I stated that I think Crossfit is good evidenced by the fact that I am in better shape that I have ever been in my life. It's awesome for me, but nowhere in my posts will you find me touting that it would be awesome for everyone.

If you can't paraphrase my statements accurately, leave me out of your posts.
One of My favorite quotes by Greg Glassman is:" CrossFit is for anyone but it is not for everyone."

Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #274
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Question. Do the percentages really matter?

I mean, if activity A was known to cause 800 cases of condition and 1% rate x but activity B had 10,000 cases and a 3% rate, does that mean that what activity A is doing is acceptable?
That's where risks and rewards come in. A 3% injury rate might be phenomenally good for a professional sport, but disastrously unacceptable in a rec league. Something like a Special Forces selection program would draw the line much differently than a fitness program for soccer moms.

To some extent, each individual does have to decide what level of risk is acceptable for them: as a longtime martial arts student, I probably have a somewhat different view of things than a reformed couch potato.

But individuals need *information* to make that kind of decision.

Katherine

Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #275
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ritchie View Post
..., and I caution all of my clients to not "hold" a jumping pull up at the top -- e.g. don't do negatives.
IMO that should be modified somewhat because negatives themselves are not bad at all. It would be doing many, many, many reps, or doing that in an already weakened state, which are bad. If someone starting fresh or almost fresh did a weighted pullup and emphasized the negatives until positive failure, and then stopped, I doubt that would be cause for concern.

Justin

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #276
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Aye, in general negatives are an early progression start point for many gymnastics progressions...But you can use negatives in advanced work as well.

Bottom line, it is strength work and should be treated as such...3x5 with 2-3 minutes rest between sets for example...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #277
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I just ate bacon. A lot of it.