CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Question How do I compete/strategy in a "Tabata This" Challenge?

I'm going to be competing in a "Tabata This" Challenge in 2 days.

It's going to be 8 rounds

a round is:

20 seconds of pushups, 1 minute rest
20 seconds of squats, 1 minute rest
20 seconds of pullups, 1 minute rest

You are scored by your lowest number.

After doing Wednesday's WOD (With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.), it made me think differently about this challenge.

What is the strategy behind it? How can I compete my best? What stretches should I do? What sort of special foods should I eat before it to compete better? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Daniel Krull : 02-18-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How do I compete/strategy in a "Tabata This" Challenge?

Which of those is your weakest exercise, and how many of them can you do in 20 seconds?

Can you choose the order in which you do the exercises? If so, I would recommend front-loading your weakest exercise at the beginning of each round. That way you at least hit it when you are (relatively) fresh. Similarly, I'd recommend putting your strongest exercise at the end of each round, allowing you to use it as a "rest" interval. Say you can do 10 pullups, 15 pushups, or 20 squats in 20 seconds. Since your score is the lowest number, you need to keep the pullup number from dropping further, even if you have to sacrifice the squat number in order to do it.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 02-18-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Daniel Krull

Profile:

So what you are saying is that I should see right now how fast I can do each in 20 seconds the first time and then go by those numbers? I think my weakest are pushups, in the middle is pullups, and squats it depends on if there is a ball underneath me or not. I don't have flexible enough legs to bend down low enough sometimes but I can dish em out quick if its air squats. Hmm... I dunno it depends. I have thursday and friday to figure this out. I know that my max on kipping pullups at one time is 15. Haven't tested that one in awhile though.

I haven't memorized the paper so I'm not sure if you can mix them up.

My worry is that I'm not sure if starting out high is a good idea because then I will get tired faster and get weaker numbers but I don't want it to be too low where I'm not really challenging myself. Maybe I should practice with 20/10s 8 rounds and see where I end up on the high and low numbers?

Last edited by Daniel Krull : 02-18-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

In 2 days? There's nothing you can do training-wise in 2 days to prepare you for this. Just take the day before off, get a good sleep, and eat food that you normally eat.
Personally I would do pushups, then squats, then pullups. Give your upper body 1 round of rest.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Your description of Tabata This doesn't match the one on the website. Tabata This is 20 sec intervals of Squat, Rower, Pullups, Sit-ups, and Push-ups, and you do 8 rounds of each exercise before moving to the next.

My advice is to double-check to make sure you really know what the challenge requires (i.e. consecutive tabatas of the same exercise for 8 rounds or tabatas of three different exercises for 8 rounds) and then move from there.

Our affiliate doesn't let you choose the order of the exercises, but your challenge might.

My approach to tabata is to pace myself. Hopefully you have a rough idea of the number of each exercises you can do in each area. So shoot for a couple over that number; you don't want whack through the early tabatas because you'll gas yourself too quickly. I also like trying to keep up a one- move/second rule that I count out in my head (it's usually a little less than this), so you can aim for 1 squat per second, but be ok with a little slower if necessary. You should be at least competitive at that rate (I think).
Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Take it for what it's worth - this is not a criticism of this challenge or of anybody's using the CF protocols to achieve better fitness - but I think that this community could use a little bit different mindset when attacking Tabatas. Notably, this is one of the few exercise communities to make extensive use of Tabatas, so we're definitely on the right track. But... the Tabata protocol is believed to be effective precisely for its short rest periods and its intensity. Intensity and time are inversely related, so doing these drawn out, 20 minute affairs like Tabata This is missing the point. The protocol originally calls for 8 periods of 20 seconds of intense effort, with 10 seconds rest in between rounds to help extend the duration of effort possible at this intense pace. Whichever exercise or exercises are being used (remember that mixed-modal training like couplets and triplets is effective because it allows the body to do more total work in a certain period of time), the key is that you have to hit it hard. Now there is a certain amount of pacing required in metabolic conditioning, but when you don't attack it, you're not using Dr. Tabata's original protocol, so it's a different kind of effort. It's tilted towards aerobic conditioning. Remember the primacy of anaerobic conditioning in Coach's programming, and why it works - the 10 seconds of rest allows for the body to recuperate just that little bit in order to throw down more hard work, and the short duration of the workout ensures that quality anaerobic work is completed. A four-minute Tabata workout is more effective at "forging" fitness in almost every way than a four-minute steady state effort.

I fear that the CF community is moving away from the doctrine espoused in the CF Journal documents and more towards the PainStorms, the Filthy Fifties, the endless suffering of a five-round Fight Gone Bad. Think about somebody who comes straight from a gymnastics or weightlifting background and smokes these 5, 10, 20 min. workouts. Now compare that to somebody who is constantly doing extended metabolic conditioning and receives less frequently the strength benefits of shorter, more intense efforts. In my own training I've noticed that the more intense, the more infrequent, and the more intelligently I train, the stronger, faster and fitter I become. Compare doing handstand-to-planche straight-body negatives versus a workout like JT. Or compare somebody who specializes in olympic lifting versus somebody who does Murph twice a week. True, to be truly fit across a wide variety of time and modal domains, one needs metcon. But it need not be more than 10 minutes to receive the lion's share of the benefits of intense exercise. This way, also, we can avoid the negative pitfalls of doing longer, slower work, like a literal weakening of muscles and a conversion to the slow twitch domain. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Daniel Krull

Profile:

I know. When I read the "Tabata This" Challenge, I thought "Thats not tabata! Tabata is 20/10! But a challenge is a challenge so I accepted it since its my first competition in CF.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Krull View Post
My worry is that I'm not sure if starting out high is a good idea because then I will get tired faster and get weaker numbers but I don't want it to be too low where I'm not really challenging myself. Maybe I should practice with 20/10s 8 rounds and see where I end up on the high and low numbers?
Yes, having an idea what you're capable of would be useful. You don't want the adrenaline effect to drive you to a PR in the first round, and complete collapse in the second.

Katherine
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Arrow Re: How do I compete/strategy in a "Tabata This" Challenge?

I must of been on something when I read the paper. This is what it says and I quote (I took a close up pic):

"Tabata This"

20 seconds on then 10 seconds off for 8 intervals of:
rowing for calories
squats
pull-ups
push-ups
sit-ups
A one minute rest follows each exercise
Each movement is scored by the weakest number of reps and for the total amount of reps.
Your total score is the total of the scores from each of the five movements.

Rules or guidelines:
1.You will be scored by another competitor in another category, not someone you are competing against.
2. Strict form and reps are counted. Bad reps will not count toward your score.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Andy Gann

Profile:

My take on Tabatas when you are not competing is ALL OUT EFFORT EVERY 20 SEC INTERVAL. I don't game my tabata workouts trying to increase my lowest rep set because, as Andrew said, I believe that it does not produce the training effect desired.

BUT, if I were going to be in a competition in a couple of days and didn't have a clue what my lowest rep count would be for each exercise, then I would find out what my max effort is for 1 set for each exercise and then shoot for 60 - 70% of that every round. The extra rest in the early rounds of each exercise will pay off dearly at the end.

Or - you could try to out-do your opponent for 1 rep of every set ...

Good Luck!!