CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Charlie Park

Profile:
hello crossfitters!

hi, i been snooping around this forum for a while but havent started crossfit yet. i stumbled on to this site while i was looking up info on STARTING STRENGTH program. i am an overweight and poor college student who is looking to get into shape! right now im doing SS program and jog since i have limited equipments. i am very excited to start doing Xfit!

equipments i have so far are:
300 oly set
power rack (have pull-up bar attached to it)
bench
McMaster-Carr bands for pull-up assistance

my shopping/to do list:
buy kettlebell
buy ring or make it
make parallette
maybe buy a pair of dumbell bar

im currently living with my parents right now but i may move out in a yr or so. i am tempted to build a garage gym but i want to buy equipments that i can use in apartment.

my questions are:

1) is it okay to separate workout?
im thinking about signing up for gym once i move out so i can do weight training stuff there and other stuff at home. i tried looking for CF affiliate around my area but i think the one in my area is not for people like me.

2) am i missing out on any of other key equipements?
i am still researching on what i need. i am on tight budget but i dont want to miss out on important equipments! although concept 2 is out of my reach...

i have few more questions but i cant remember them right now. please stop by again later! thanks in advance

Last edited by Charlie Park : 08-06-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Stephen Smith

Profile:
Re: hello crossfitters!

first of all,

As for your questions, it's ok to do your workouts wherever you can! I do most of my workouts at my local gym, but I do some stuff at home, or at my local school's track. As far as your local CF affiliate, I'm not sure what you're saying... Are they too far from you? too expensive? Do they seem elitist? If it's 'not for people like you' in that last sense, then it's not much of an affiliate. One of the tenets of CF is that it's scaleable to any fitness level. Is it possible you're just intimidated by the crazy fitness level of all the crossfit beasts in there? If that's the case, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much support you get from the people there once you try it out...

It looks like you're well on your way to having a good home gym, though...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

Don't be intimidated by the beasts at a Crossfit affiliate. They will welcome you and show you the moves, and even scale a workout just for you. That is the best way to learn quickly. Otherwise, it sounds like you are compiling a nice set of equipment to get started. Welcome!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Charlie Park

Profile:

thanks guys, i think the price is the biggest issue. although it is very cheap for working with a trainer its still high for me. before i found out about Xfit i used to go to bally total fitness. they tried convince me to sign up for 12 sessions for around 1k...crazy!! one minor issue is that they require interview for everyone that signs up. quote from the site: "This is a very rare, elite training camp, only incorporated upon application and acceptance into our program. This program has NO room for quitters. The Underground Camp only accepts those fully prepared to train like a Gladiator. Military, Law Enforcement, Athletic Teams and Security Personnel are regular applicants for these camps."
sounds very cool but im just average dude trying to get in shape so im not sure if im ready for that yet. lol. anyway! im ready to kick some body fat's ***!! right now im reading paleo diet book.

Last edited by Charlie Park : 08-06-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Anthony Militello

Profile:

Well being prior service....

We are all average people to some extent. Some of us just have extremely above-average goals . Point is a 80 year old grandmother and an army ranger can both benefit from quality coaching especially in the olympic/powerlifts.

If price is an issue I can understand that. But if you can manage to look through your couch and find a few extra bucks...then I'd advise you to do so. The point of crossfit is to tailor to every individual and their OVERALL fitness needs because we are all HUMAN and increasing HUMAN performance is what crossfit is about.

And if you are worried about not making it through a workout, don't worry. Working out with the pack will always help you get through the last few 100m of that rough sprint!

Good luck!

-Anthony
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Park View Post
hi, i been snooping around this forum for a while but havent started crossfit yet. i stumbled on to this site while i was looking up info on STARTING STRENGTH program. i am an overweight and poor college student who is looking to get into shape! right now im doing SS program and jog since i have limited equipments. i am very excited to start doing Xfit!

equipments i have so far are:
300 oly set
power rack (have pull-up bar attached to it)
bench
McMaster-Carr bands for pull-up assistance

my shopping/to do list:
buy kettlebell
buy ring or make it
make parallette
maybe buy a pair of dumbell bar

im currently living with my parents right now but i may move out in a yr or so. i am tempted to build a garage gym but i want to buy equipments that i can use in apartment.

my questions are:

1) is it okay to separate workout?
im thinking about signing up for gym once i move out so i can do weight training stuff there and other stuff at home. i tried looking for CF affiliate around my area but i think the one in my area is not for people like me.

2) am i missing out on any of other key equipements?
i am still researching on what i need. i am on tight budget but i dont want to miss out on important equipments! although concept 2 is out of my reach...

i have few more questions but i cant remember them right now. please stop by again later! thanks in advance
1. if you buy all that equipment you wont NEED a gym dood. It'd be a complete waste of money..... you can litteraly do everything with what you posted... almost. Unless you really can't live without treadmills and machines.

2. I suggest also getting a sledge hammer + big truck tire for sledge hammer slams... and also get like a 200lb+ tractor tire for tire flip deadlifts....