CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Team WODs different levels of fitness

I have never run a team WOD but was thinking about doing so tomorrow for our 1 New Years Day class. I have something else programed but I'm not excited about it.

So how do you handle different fitness levels so it is a workout for everyone?

Got any good suggestions? Could have anywhere from 10 to 20+ people.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Team WODs different levels of fitness

I like team WODs when we have a big group.
You can set them up many different ways.
One of the easiest is just to have a set number of reps of the various exercises, give a minimum number that all athletes must accomplish and only allow 1 person to workout at a time.

Eg - teams of 3 people, all reps must be complete before moving to next exercise.

150 pull ups
200 burpees
1 mile run - all team members run together, next exercise cannot begin until all members finish run.
500 double unders.

Each member must complete at least 40 pull ups, 50 burpees and 150 DU
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Most of our Saturday WOD's are team workouts. I think it's a great idea to help build the community you want. Some members are only a name on the board until they meet.

We do one of a few options;
-FGB style WOD. Not a team, but their partner counts reps, encourages, etc.
-Most common we do, 2/team, an AMRAP 20-25mins(longer than our usual AMRAP). One partner works the AMRAP, other is either running or rowing a set distance, and then switch when the return. Counting continues where other partner left off.
-Last few months we've introduced partners with static holds, and feedback is great. They like it because it tests something different than the usual WOD's.
Typically it's 4 movements between 100-200 reps each. One partner works on the chipper, and the other performs the static hold(chin over the bar, bottom of squat, top of push up, single arm KB over head, V-sit, etc.). When the static hold fails, or they decide to switch, they switch, and the counting continues where they left off.

The issues with different fitness levels is just like any other WOD. We usually don't use barbells on Saturday team WOD's for that reason. That's the most difficult to change mid workout. Otherwise, a team may have 2 KB's, wallballs, etc. if needed to scale. If you don't have enough equipment, you can put them with partners that can use similar equipment.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I"m not a fan of the workouts with simply lots of reps and they have to get through them. They just seem boring to me.

On boxing day we had this workout: teams of 3, 5 stations, 5min per station, 1-2 min rest/transition time between stations.

Each station had a counting movement as well as a static hold. For example, wall balls and holding the top of a deadlift position. You could only get points in the wall ball while someone was holding the bar. The 3rd person rested. Rotate as you wanted.

If I recall, the stations were:

Wall ball
hold a DL

KBS
handstand hold

Ball slams
hang from a pull up bar

Row for cal's
Front rack

Toes to bar
Plank

Have different weight options for different fitness levels. For example, for the deadlift hold I think I had a 185, 125 lb bars and a 70 lb KB.
If you have to, explain that there is no prize for winning so there was no point using a lighter weight than you normally would for a workout.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I got it:

Team FGB w short rest

1:00 Work
0:30 Rest (allows for self scoring)

Through the 5 stations 3 times. 15 minutes work 7:00 rest. 22 minutes of madness. Prefect.

Set stations up in rows like lanes on a track. Each team gets its own row.

Will have to make coaches decisions on how to set teams and what scaling will be allowed. Uneven number of team members, we can compute average reps per team member to determine a winner.

We have space for up to 5 teams of 5 so unless we break our holiday record it should work.

Thanks this should work and be more fun then what I had planned.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Luke Conner

Profile:

Our gym does team workouts pretty much every Saturday, and honestly it's one of the most fun things we do. You get a chance to workout with people you may not normally get a chance to and with a team you can accomplish more than you can on your own. It really gives you a chance to challenge and push yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Carl Brenton

Profile:

Our members love team WOD's - we do them on Saturdays quite a bit. The Barbells for Boobs partner WOD of Helen meets Grace was pretty fun. Team of 2 does Helen followed by Grace - one partner working at a time, both run together.