CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
POLL: How many people REST "as Rx'd"?

For those doing WODs 3 on/1 off or 5 on/2 off, I keep reading the recommendation to take every fourth week at half-intensity, and every 12th week off in light recovery.

With all the wonderfully obsessive record-keepers here, I wonder how many of you rest as Rx'd?

If not, do you take regular rest days? Go by how you feel? Astrology?

Might be instructive to take a poll, if not already done. (I did a search and didn't find this.)

Susie
Old 10-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Luke Rossmo

Profile:
Re: POLL: How many people REST "as Rx'd"?

Ive learned to take the fourth day as a rest day. In the first few months of doing crossfit i got pretty worn out and had to take 5 days off. That was really hard on me (not working out). These days i take a few days off here and there (less then monthly) when my body feels tired after the rest day. Those days off are almost harder then the days when we get pounded!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Well, this is week four right now for me, and I am getting in more rest than usual. May just take weeks 8 and 12 off.

Luke, I know what you mean. I had a rest day going just two days ago, but I walked into the garage and couldn't help myself. Just had to do dragon flags. So sore the next day.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 10-12-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I don't do 3/1 or 5/2. I don't do a light fourth week, and I don't regularly take a 12th week off.

My schedule demands randomness, and I usually have rest days forced on me. I also double (or triple) up on WOD and other stuff. If I need a rest day beyond that, I'll take it.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 10-12-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

I do 5 on 2 off. So far been through almost 3 mesocycles and usually take a break after about 5 or 6 weeks. I rarely throw in a metcon though since I'm working towards a few other goals at the moment.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

My schedule has enough irregularity that rest/working off the WoD gets imposed by itself. Failing that, when stuff's breaking, it gets paused...

It's like cheat days. Some people schedule it. Some people let it come up due to social/external factors.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I'll hardly ever do 3/1 WODs... I just can't do it. Maybe I do too many other things, maybe I push it too hard, or maybe I just suck; but I can't keep up the intensity past 2 cycles. However, the last time I tried adhering strictly to a 3/1 WOD cycle was almost 3 weeks ago- I'm going for mass gain ATM. When I did, I would usually take an extra rest day every two cycles, or just go closer to 3/2... I don't know what's up with me. It really bothers me that I can't keep up the pattern for more than 8 days...
Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Kevin Mills

Profile:

I do the on 3 off 1 routine and have done that since last January. For me it seems every 4th week I feel the need to either take the week off from the WOD's or do them at half the RX. I perform some type of active rest (e.g. hiking, bicycling, walking, even light jogging). That is usually all it takes for me to recover and I bounce back the next week with vigor!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Tom Ellison

Profile:

I generally don't follow the monthly half intensity week, but about every 4-6 weeks I usually take a few days off and make sure to get lots of sleep. Other tan that, I only break the 3/1 pattern if I'm uber-tired, injured, away from any kind of gym, etc.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
Talking Re: POLL: How many people REST "as Rx'd"?

Ditto what Gant said...I ussually have rest days forced during the cycles and I refuse to workout on weekends