CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
rob pettigrew

Profile:  
Coach, Lauren,

The administrator at the Health and Wellness Center (HAWC) at our base has been sold on Crossfit and wants me and a buddy of mine to start talking to the Physical Fitness Leader (PTL) course attendees about it. He is also working on getting a bunch of new Crossfit related equipment (lift racks, bumper plates, balls, k-bells, ropes, rings, etc.) and we will probably have some large area in the fitness center dedicated to this equipment. I believe my buddy, Dan Fannin, corresponded with you about the equipment as well as a seminar some time ago. We are both really stoked about this and are looking forward to a growing group of Crossfitters here. What are the legal stipulations, if any, of us "preaching" Crossfit at the PTL classes and leading, on a volunatry basis, several Crossfit WODs a week?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Rob,
CrssFit Cape Fear here at Pope AFB... what is the process you went to getting it approved. Some of the folks here have had a hard time doing CF in the facility if it didn't fit a norm (telling them to take the rings of the x-over station, etc)?

Will this be an NAF program or simply free reign?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Jason McCain

Profile:
Rob,

I'm jealous. I approached this with the HAWC leader at Peterson AFB and this person acted like I had lost my mind. Maybe if Tinker is willing to give it a go this will help convince other bases.

Jason
Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
rob pettigrew

Profile:  
sorry for the delayed response - been out for a weekend.

I think some of what has helped has been the regular involvement I've had with the HAWC admin guy, Chris, since I am the squadron's fitness dude (UFPM), or nazi -depending on who you talk to. We recently had an inspection and it was said that my squadron had the most impressive system on base (due, cerctanly, in part to the immense help I've recieved from others). We've built sort of a repore between each other. He would send out regular emails with links to some pretty good fitness/nutrition sites. When inviting several of my friends to Crossfit, I forwarded the free journal you get from the site and I included Chris on the list. Since then, Dan has inquired of Coach and Lauren as to the possibility of a seminar here and some equipment we should recommend and forwarded their response on to Chris. We recently had a Fight on Friday and invited Chris. He didn't show, but sometime in the recent past, he has been witness to a WOD and was impressed. Unfortunatley for you guys, I think a lot of it has to do with selling it to the admin. - we've been lucky in that aspect.

Initially, I think it will be just getting new equipment that happens to be just what you need for a Crossfit gym and happens to be co-located away from all the other machines in an area that happens to be conducive to a Crossfit type workout. Eventually, I think it may evolve to a regular session on a schedule alongside the aerobics and yoga classes.

As for teaching Crossfit in the PT Leaders classes, I have no idea how far he wants to take it, but I wouldn't dismiss leading the class through a WOD after talking them through the site.

I will post any updates I get to this thread when I get them, so check back from time to time.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Rob,

It was unclear to me where you are stationed. I'm looking to get Crossfit going here in San Antonio. When I called the HAWC out at Lackland AFB,Tx, it was apparent that you're not here.

If I can get some interest at the Lackland HAWC in CrossFit, I'd like to use you and any other A.F. facility as a potential reference to how it's gone at other Bases.

Thanks,

Ken Davis
Old 02-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Mike Malloy

Profile:
Checkout the Pararescue indoc the instructors are doing Crossfit talk to Brandon, Doug, Dave (last names withheld) they could probably help you out.

E-mail me if you need some help

(Message edited by mike_malloy on February 27, 2006)

Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
rob pettigrew

Profile:  
Kenneth,

I'm at Tinker in OK City. I was just reading Eugene's seminar notes as recommended by one of the comments for today's/yesterday's WOD - interesting point about the Air Force dismissing it. Seems they're really good at dumb decisions like that. I think I've just gotten real lucky with a guy who's open to this sort of thing. Here's a quote from an email I just got from him:

"I just need a list of what a crossfit program needs to get off the ground and I’ll try to get it purchased. ( 2 of this and 3 of that etc) Cooperation with the gyms will not be a problem."

Looks like we're ready to ROCK!!

I'll keep you guys posted on how this develops
Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: Crossfit gym, courtesy Air Force

Any updates on this topic? Has anyone else been successful on AF installations?

I've got our NCO academy students doing CF-style workouts, but it would be nice to expand to the rest of the base.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Ben Duiker

Profile:

What would be great is if you guys could get them to build one at KRAB. I am looking in to trying to change some things on this end, so we'll see.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Joseph Crupi

Profile:

Ken,

Let me know how all that works out for you. I'm in Iraq right now, but was going to look at starting a CF at Lackland when i got back. Was planning on getting the certs and everything. Please drop me a line and maybe we can work something together.

Joe