CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
Muscle up help

Hey guys on quest for a muscle up. I've been doing some skill work (10-15 min 3 times a week) that I found from videos of Khalipa and Carl paliolo (might misspelled). Anyway after good month or so thought I'd try to get one and got close but let me know what I need to work on I can't seem to get rotated over still. Any helpful tips?

http://youtu.be/_xaV6KucPuM
Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Dan Woerheide

Profile:
Re: Muscle up help

Hey, Looks like great effort to me.. Your elbows are in and your pulling to your abs, though hard to tell for sure from the Video.
One thing that helped me was to lower the rings to just within reach for a false grip while seated with legs out front.
Add a (Very) light resistance band under you (Across the rings, tie one end and secure the other with your hand, I flossed between middle and ring finger.

Snap up from the seated position utilizing strict muscle up form and no assistance from your legs.. This techinique allowed me to focus on the transition and get that feeling,

Within a day or so of trying this technique I had strict and kipping muscle ups!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I see two faults and have one tip.

First, see if you can find a thicker branch to hang from. That branch has a little give, which means you pull your body up and some of that pull is wasted on the branch bending down to meet you.

Second, you're breaking at the hips. The momentum in your feet and legs is not transferring to your upper body because the hips are slightly bent, even at your moment of greatest speed. Consider this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcnpJSAsbo (wfs) See how high Camille gets her hips. This gets all the power and speed from the kip up into the shoulders, which is what will get you over the rings.

My tip is to think about speed. Think about tucking your head FAST through those rings at the top. Spealler calls it the fastest sit-up of your life.

I can see you've got the strength to do this. Your technique just needs a little clean up and you'll be there.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

I'll give that technique a try dan. And I realized yesterday that the branch gave too. I am planning to make a place in back yard for hanging rings and a rope.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I'm sorry to say that the thing that really sealed it for me was the false grip. Before that I was doing exactly what you are doing. Pretty much getting there but not being able to quite put it all together. I have 20 videos of me doing exactly what you are doing.

The false grip made a difference for me because I was already strong enough to do the muscle up, but I just couldn't figure it out. I couldn't quite put the pieces together. It was very frustrating and very annoying to me to keep hearing "you're there. You're high enough just turn over." ugh.

I would recommend what my coach did to get me there. Work on strict chest to ring pullups. Work on the false grip on the rings, and also on the bar. It hurts, but it worked for me, and I tried everything. Then add in the kip once you can pull yourself up above the rings without a kip and youll find that when you use a strong pull with a false grip, and your hands are already over the rings, it all just kinda falls into place.

Here is my real first muscle up. It wasn't pretty, but I love that my coach caught my first one in video.

http://youtu.be/SjOMZxoolQw
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Second on the false grip.
The cues that really helped me at first were...false grip, then put your knuckles together and pull to your sternum...then trace your "bra-line" with your pinkies on the transition.
I've "coached" a few people with this tip and it seems to help.
Later (or now) you should work on maintaining the hollow position in the swing and not bend your knees. There's a great video from Outlaw CF on this.
You are close...keep at it. Probably all you need is false grip.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Shaun Gross

Profile:

I'm third-ing the false grip.

I was in your position - Doing some great sterum-to-rings kipping pullups without being able to do the muscle-up. After giving up on them for ages, I randomly started practicing hanging from a false grip (which was very painful at first, and only slightly painful now), note - I couldn't hang freely at first and needed to support my feet.

I think the kicker was that after a week of practicing hanging from a false grip, I was able to do false grip pullups (normal strict pullups aren't a big deal for me and by the looks of your abilities aren't for you) where the outside of my thumbs would touch my nipples. This shows its high enough to muscle up.

TL;DR - Practice hanging from the false grip, bent arm if you have to although try and be as straight as possible. Once you get this false grip "strength" the muscle up is not far away..

For the record - here is my second ever muscle up - http://instagram.com/p/vfno3KETBO/?modal=true
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

Hey guys thanks for input. I have been starting to work on false grip but know it's till not there fully will def keep drilling it. I'm hoping for a muscle up by end of the year. Fingers crossed
Old 11-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I never used the false grip for kipping muscle ups. I do use it for strict muscle ups however.

I think the best thing you can do is keep drilling the kip to getting your hips high to the rings, without worrying about the transition yet. Just kip, get your hips up and swing back down. Helped me a lot.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

http://outlawcrossfit.com/2014/01/15...cation-series/ Wfs
Here's the video
False grip and the bottom video and you'll have it in a week