CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #1
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
OHS critique

This is a video of two videos combined side by side into one. Sorry for not being in synch but dunno how to do that in coach's eye. Also sorry for poor background music but I had to use something to mask the real audio.

Also sorry for awful video quality, I hope its usable to a point where you can make useful comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaYgY_ezIU WFS

Couple of points: do you see any difference in form between videos, is one form better than the other? How is the general form, good, bad, great, awful? These are light weights, but close to my 5RM max, maybe a couple of pounds more is doable, but nothing fancy.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: OHS critique

Video is private!!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Man..sorry...does it work now?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
This is a video of two videos combined side by side into one. Sorry for not being in synch but dunno how to do that in coach's eye. Also sorry for poor background music but I had to use something to mask the real audio.

Also sorry for awful video quality, I hope its usable to a point where you can make useful comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaYgY_ezIU WFS

Couple of points: do you see any difference in form between videos, is one form better than the other? How is the general form, good, bad, great, awful? These are light weights, but close to my 5RM max, maybe a couple of pounds more is doable, but nothing fancy.
There is a slight difference between the 2. IMHO, I think the left is slightly better in terms of keeping your torso more vertical. However, I also think the difference is very minimal. I think the general form is great, so keep it up.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Thanks, but its the actually the one on the right that is done after mobility work on the shoulders, while the left one is just after a minor warmup.

The thing is my OHS is very weak compare to other lifts and I assumed its the mobility thats holding me back. Now I see its not.

It must be the weak stability in the shoulders/scapula. Are there any isolating exercises to improve that or is training OHS twice a week good enough?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, but its the actually the one on the right that is done after mobility work on the shoulders, while the left one is just after a minor warmup.

The thing is my OHS is very weak compare to other lifts and I assumed its the mobility thats holding me back. Now I see its not.

It must be the weak stability in the shoulders/scapula. Are there any isolating exercises to improve that or is training OHS twice a week good enough?
I'm not really a coach, so you might get better opinions from others on what would be better to do. My thought would be to perform OHS at least once a week with a pause in the bottom. Another day, so snatch-grip press from behind the neck. Also, look up snatch-grip press from squat position, very hard and very effective!!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Also, look up snatch-grip press from squat position, very hard and very effective!!
That is sots press, right?

I can only slot in two extra exercises per week so how does this sound: one day OHS + pause, another day behind neck standing snatch grip press and sots press (on the same day?).

Sets and reps wise, what would be a good? 5 x 5, 3 x 5, 3 x 8, 5 x 8?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
That is sots press, right?

I can only slot in two extra exercises per week so how does this sound: one day OHS + pause, another day behind neck standing snatch grip press and sots press (on the same day?).

Sets and reps wise, what would be a good? 5 x 5, 3 x 5, 3 x 8, 5 x 8?
That sounds pretty good. With the OHS+pause, I would do something like triples, however many sets you can do, up to 5 or so. For the sots press, something like 3-5 sets of 5's will do you well.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #9
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

My 2 cents :

I am not a coach, but your form is correct, you seem a little bit more stable on the right though.
Repetition is key, my overall overhead proficiency (snatch, ohs, ...) didn't progress for months until I religiously practiced it twice a week.
Variations are good but do not go too far from the real movements. you really can't be good at OHS without practicing the movement often.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #10
Steven Wingo

Profile:

What happens when you miss the OHS? A dump to the front? What may be most helpful is to see a miss on video.

I see a shift in weight a little too much to the toes as you approach the bottom, evidenced best by knees a little too far forward. Just as Keith Miller stated, I thought the series on the left was a little better (although the difference is minimal). I think you need to lock your core down tighter I can see your rib cage opened up just slightly even from the start with a very slight hyperextension of the lumbar spine. It is only minimal, but remember the beauty of the OHS is that punishes any faults especially midline stabilization. And what is often perceived as a break down in the arms is really just due to a fault in the core--once there is any slight break in the chain with the OHS everything goes and you dump the weight.

So my suggestions: 1. Lock the core down tighter; 2. Push your knees out wider and be sure to send your butt back and down, settling with more weight in your heels as you approach the bottom.

Keep up the good work. Your OHS is better than probably 90% of the athletes at the box where I coach, maybe better.