CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Delita Wright

Profile:
The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society

Got this idea from some encouraging remarks on my workout log (you know who you are!), so...

Here's the deal. The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society has only one membership requirement: You must be working on getting your first dead-hang pull-up.

The trick is - as soon as you get your first DHPU, you are out - graduated.

Who's in? I am!

And what are you doing or what have you done to get to that point where you can get your first DHPU?

Thanks for playing!
Delita
Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Noah Martin

Profile:
Re: The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita Wright View Post
Got this idea from some encouraging remarks on my workout log (you know who you are!), so...

Here's the deal. The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society has only one membership requirement: You must be working on getting your first dead-hang pull-up.

The trick is - as soon as you get your first DHPU, you are out - graduated.

Who's in? I am!

And what are you doing or what have you done to get to that point where you can get your first DHPU?

Thanks for playing!
Delita

NICE! Well I'm a 27 year old male, 185 pounds.. 4 weeks ago I could do one dead hang, now I can do 4 almost 5.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I'm in.
What am I doing?
Er...I bought a pull-up bar to be hung in our basement, which has been procrastinated on and now postponed due to water burbling up the basement drains two weeks ago. So someday, I'll have a pull-up bar!
I'm doing SS right now, rather than WODs or working pull-ups much per se.
Still working on my first DHPU, though, so I qualify for membership!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
NICE! Well I'm a 27 year old male, 185 pounds.. 4 weeks ago I could do one dead hang, now I can do 4 almost 5.
Noah, NICE as well! You mean there is hope for us?? ;-) So sorry you don't qualify for membership. Oh, that's a good thing! ??? lol
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
I'm in.
What am I doing?
Er...I bought a pull-up bar to be hung in our basement, which has been procrastinated on and now postponed due to water burbling up the basement drains two weeks ago. So someday, I'll have a pull-up bar!
I'm doing SS right now, rather than WODs or working pull-ups much per se.
Still working on my first DHPU, though, so I qualify for membership!
Tirzah! Congrats - at least you have BOUGHT the bar! lol I'm still looking at pics online while practicing floor-assisted pull-ups from a bar racked chest high. Fortunately, my roommate has a universal gym in the LR. I feel so cool now that I don't crap out after 1-2.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita Wright View Post
Tirzah! Congrats - at least you have BOUGHT the bar! lol I'm still looking at pics online while practicing floor-assisted pull-ups from a bar racked chest high. Fortunately, my roommate has a universal gym in the LR. I feel so cool now that I don't crap out after 1-2.
Home Depot. One length of iron pipe, two pipe caps. Dirt cheap! Rope we have always with us.
Way to go on yours!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
David Sumner

Profile:

Delita,
I found myself at 26 years old unable to do a single pullup I was at a globo gym at the time and used the lat pulldown machine and increased weight at 6 to 10 reps until I could get my first dead hang pullup. Within three months I was able to do a bodyweight pullup + 100lbs strapped to my waste. It takes time for your body to put all the pieces together before you can accomplish your first pullup and this it the hardest part. Once you get a single pullup you will be doing 4, 5, 8 before you know it.

At our Crossfit gym we have a huge selection of bands. If you have access to a pullup bar, something stable to stand up on that lets you grab the bar securely with both hands, and someone to help you in and out of a band, you are all set to work towards your first bodyweight pullup. Attach the band to the pullup bar by hanging it over the bar and pulling one end through the other end. The end you pull through goes around the bottom of your foot, leaving one foot for you to stand on the box while someone helps you in and out of the band. Keep both of your hands on the bar until the band is off, you don't want to do a half back flip and land on your head. Work your way into smaller and smaller bands until you don't need one anymore.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Lara Lewis

Profile:

I'm in. I've working on this for a while, but have made only little progress. I need to get serious about it again!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
Home Depot. One length of iron pipe, two pipe caps. Dirt cheap! Rope we have always with us.
Way to go on yours!
LOL - I'm staying with a friend in a rental - I'll have to rethink where we could get away with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumner View Post
Delita,
I found myself at 26 years old unable to do a single pullup I was at a globo gym at the time and used the lat pulldown machine and increased weight at 6 to 10 reps until I could get my first dead hang pullup. Within three months I was able to do a bodyweight pullup + 100lbs strapped to my waste. It takes time for your body to put all the pieces together before you can accomplish your first pullup and this it the hardest part. Once you get a single pullup you will be doing 4, 5, 8 before you know it.

At our Crossfit gym we have a huge selection of bands. If you have access to a pullup bar, something stable to stand up on that lets you grab the bar securely with both hands, and someone to help you in and out of a band, you are all set to work towards your first bodyweight pullup. Attach the band to the pullup bar by hanging it over the bar and pulling one end through the other end. The end you pull through goes around the bottom of your foot, leaving one foot for you to stand on the box while someone helps you in and out of the band. Keep both of your hands on the bar until the band is off, you don't want to do a half back flip and land on your head. Work your way into smaller and smaller bands until you don't need one anymore.
Thanks, David - I'm toying with joining a local gym (not CF) where I expect they have a gravitron! ;-) Meantime, I'm wearing a 100+ pound vest 24/7 so doing floor-assisted pull-ups is definitely doing something to my arms. Poco a poco. Delita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Lewis View Post
I'm in. I've working on this for a while, but have made only little progress. I need to get serious about it again!
Lara - welcome! I'm just getting serious myself and that must be the first step! If all these other good folks have done it you would think we can too!

Delita
Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Delita, this is a brilliant idea!!!

Although I no longer qualify for membership (teehee), I'm cheering all of you on. And I hope this club soon has no members!!!