CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: "What's an active shoulder?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Nice thread, Brandon. It also appears that relaxed shoulders make you bored when doing dips.
That, and almost falling asleep in a "dead hang dip" at the bottom. That's no way to stretch the shoulders. Found that out the hard way. Rookie error.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Thanks Brandon! The picture comparison HELPS!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Nice thread, Brandon. It also appears that relaxed shoulders make you bored when doing dips.
Nah, just confused.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
As pictured, the shoulders should push down.
Pushed down, yes, but they can be pushed down in the back or the front. That's all I meant.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I am confused.

Everyone says that Active Shoulders = moving the shoulders away from the load. So, for example, in a pushup, you have to push yourself more (I assume only at the top of the movement?). And in an overhead press, then you should try to press the weight more, as if trying to put it as high up as possible.

However, there seems to be some people who believe that the shoulder should follow the upper arm. If the upper arm is overhead, then the shoulders should be up, regardless if you're pushing or pullup. So at the deadhang portion of a pullup, your shoulders would be up (close to the ears), but as you go past half the range of motion, you pull them down (since your upper arm goes down as well). I have asked someone about this, and here is the reply I got:

Quote:
If you analyze the overhead pull upon rings, you will see that at the bottom, the hands will rotate outward and this brings the scapula closer to the ears. To then pull, the hands will rotate inward, raising the scapula slightly, and as you pull higher the scapulae rotate and slide back down, to follow the bicep. It IS possible to activate the shoulders in a pull without using the arms... and you may not have any problems. But it wasn't the way we were designed. It was designed to move as a unit, not shoulder blades and THEN upper arm.
Note: when he says "follow the bicep", he means follow the upper arm, of course.

What do you think of this?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

The fact of the matter is that if you have shoulder problems you NEED to engage the shoulders before you activate because it protects the RC and capsule especially.

Basically, as in any of the positions above active shoulders are correct. This is why I generally categorize them push vs pull rather than 'arms overhead' or whatever because it's not nearly as universal like that.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Emily Mattes

Profile:

This is awesome and incredibly helpful. Thanks, Brandon!