CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Justin Toren

Profile:
Fear of HSPU?

I have a fear of Handstand push ups against a wall, but I have no problem doing a handstand hold or handstand walks in the middle of the room? I think it's the fact that I feel that I will crash to the floor if I miss when I kick myself up to the wall. Perhaps a gymnastics tumbling mat will cure my fear..any thoughts?

Also it seems to really throw me off if I try to look behind me, instead of down at the ground when I do a handstand.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
Re: Fear of HSPU?

Put a mat or crash pad beneath you. Or find a spotter friend just to be there for you. You probably won't need either but just to overcome the mental hurdle. Once you do it a few times you won't have that fear anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

And yea it should throw you off if you look behind you because you are initiating the natural bailing roll out sequence of events First is to put your chin to your chest if you feel yourself falling. Keep your eyes on the ground for holds and walks, when you get the hspu on the wall you can look wherever without fear because you will be supported
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Devyn Pioli

Profile:

Repetition man! Just keep practicing it and practicing it and youll be doing handstand pushups in no time! I had a fear of them too when i started but i kept trying them everyday and the it eventually went away.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This is why you do them stomach to wall first. When you can kick into a controlled HS without the wall, then maybe you can do it against the wall
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Toren View Post
I have a fear of Handstand push ups against a wall, but I have no problem doing a handstand hold or handstand walks in the middle of the room? I think it's the fact that I feel that I will crash to the floor if I miss when I kick myself up to the wall. Perhaps a gymnastics tumbling mat will cure my fear..any thoughts?

Also it seems to really throw me off if I try to look behind me, instead of down at the ground when I do a handstand.
“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.”
― Bruce Lee,
Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Toren View Post

“Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” or in this case fall
― Bruce Lee,
Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
This is why you do them stomach to wall first. When you can kick into a controlled HS without the wall, then maybe you can do it against the wall
That's the way I do them... I get very vertical and can get 21 on my first set,
Turn around and it's game over for me... Mental thing, doing a fast kick up and I start getting vertigo, slow belly walk up and I'm fine. I Got to get over it!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you start getting vertigo, you need to do more inversion is the key. Unless your inner ear is damaged or you are a senior.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If you start getting vertigo, you need to do more inversion is the key. Unless your inner ear is damaged or you are a senior.
I ruptured my ear drum several years ago .... Rescuing a novice scuba diver who got into to trouble... It messed up my inner ear and ever since I can invert, but slowly, if I kick up quick I get dizzy for a few seconds..

I soldiered up and kicked up four times in a row today and did about 20 or so HSPU just for practice... I just need to keep doing them knowing I have the wall to support me