CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
David Gray

Profile:
And the prize for most wobbly press...

I know it's wobbly from the ground up. What I'm not getting is how to stabilize myself from the ground up. I widened my stance slightly, that helped. Wider? I widened my grip, that helped, but I think it's as wide as it should go. I try to keep my knees locked, most of the time. But between leaning back at the bottom of the press and fully extending at the top, my hips and shoulders seem to be seesawing back and forth, leading to the bar moving forward and back of my feet. Yes, I'm in front of a mirror, but I swear all I can see is my bright red face looking like it's going to explode. I'm open to suggestions.

1st set 112.5lbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPDAtVCl0Lk

2nd set with lost balance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O7YSbR0Mww

3rd set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTOscBd4d4
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: And the prize for most wobbly press...

Looks pretty good to me.

You lose balance on that second set because you are letting the bar get a little to far away from you. Focus on keeping it close to your face, close enough to come within millimeters of your nose on the way up. This will make the bar path more vertical and help with some of the wobbling.

Just keep micro loading and the weight will get there
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:

my only advice would be to narrow your grip a little. keep those elbows in front of you.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Graeme Howland

Profile:

It looks like you are breathing at the top inbetween reps? Try a set where you breath with the bar racked on your shoulders each rep. Take a deep breath and set your entire body, legs up, rigid torso, big chest, then press to lockout, bring it back down and repeat. The extra time getting set for each rep will help with stability.

I hear you on mirrors, they are very annoying/distracting. It looks like you could put the hooks on the opposite side of the power cage and lift facing away from the mirror, I did that in my old gym.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Andrew Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
It looks like you are breathing at the top inbetween reps? Try a set where you breath with the bar racked on your shoulders each rep. Take a deep breath and set your entire body, legs up, rigid torso, big chest, then press to lockout, bring it back down and repeat. The extra time getting set for each rep will help with stability.

I hear you on mirrors, they are very annoying/distracting. It looks like you could put the hooks on the opposite side of the power cage and lift facing away from the mirror, I did that in my old gym.
Breathing at the top is a well known tip taught in Starting Strength that allows for use of the stretch reflex in the Press. Typically, it is used by novice lifters to move more weight each workout, allowing for continued progression in the big 5.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Just keep micro loading and the weight will get there
Shoot, I think he's doing alright on the weight for a newbie (are you a newbie?). The press is my weakest area, and on CFT last week I only got 90lbs on the press, while my newbie workout partner (a female with limited weight training) got 70lbs. I'm glad I don't have much of an ego