CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Robert Woller

Profile:
Strict Paleo?

About 3 weeks ago I switched from a vegetarian diet to Paleo.

I am fortunate and have the availability and the means to purchase all organic foods. All my fruit, veggies, nuts and eggs are organic, and all my meats are grass fed and hormone free.

But I wonder if I'm over doing it.

It is quite expensive to eat this way and makes my selection of retaurants almost nil. So what I'm wondering of all you other Paleo people is how strict are you with it? Do just follow the basics of allowed food or do you go the extra mile to make sure your food is chemical free. And most of all, does it make a real difference? Will ordering a steak at Outback without knowing where it came from really be detrimental at all to my diet? Any imput would be appreciated.

Last edited by Robert Woller : 05-01-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Jae Chung

Profile:
Re: Strict Paleo?

I think you should be as strict as you want to be.

I've only been doing Paleo for a couple of weeks now but I'm having a pretty easy time with it. I'm not looking at it as a set of religious prohibitions about what I can't eat. I'm looking at it as a lifestyle change that helps me make healthy choices about what I put in my body.

If you are strict to the point that it is stressing you out, you might want to think about ways to loosen up. The point of eating Paleo is to eat healthy, to diminish hyperinsulimia/insulin resistance, to reduce the intake of lectins, etc. The point is NOT to be stricter than everyone else. Unless you are celiac, having a small bowl of pasta once in a while won't kill you.

If you want to eat a steak at Outback, I say go for it. Just avoid the pasta, potatoes, corn, whatever. Unless you're giving yourself a cheat meal, in which case go for those, too! The important thing is, don't let that cheat meal turn into a cheat weekend/week/month.

I really think that eating Paleo should be largely stress-free. I want to hold myself to high but not perfect standards.

On another note, how do you feel about making the switch? Do you notice any changes in the way you feel or in your athletic performance?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Keep in mind that the process for a farm being certified organic is fairly lengthy and expensive. That fact makes a lot of small farms and co-ops decide not to go through the hassles. Organic means pesticide and rBGH-free, but doesn't automatically mean fresh since it could be getting shipped from anywhere in the world. But if I can go to a roadside stand or farmers market and talk to the people who planted and harvested the fruit or vegetables and get their promise that it was grown with little or no nitrates, that counts for something...as does knowing that their stuff was probably picked yesterday as opposed to a week ago then shipped from Mexico or South America. I try to go organic whenever it's a reasonable option based on cost, but I also place a lot of value on getting fresh, ripe food by supporting local farms.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Gil Butler

Profile:

Since most of my meals are home cooked, while in the house, I try to stick 100% Paleo.

When eating out I loosen up a little allowing dairy and sweet potatoes, but keeping the rest of the meal Paleo (sometimes I'll have a dessert anyway). Obviously if its a full cheat meal, I'll allow a lot more than that.

There is no doubt that a steak from Outback is corn-fed considering most even higher quality restaurants are as well. It is this type of meat that is part of the real culprit behind the studies that say red meat causes cancer.

For this reason when eating out I stick mostly to seafood and poultry.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Robert Woller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
On another note, how do you feel about making the switch? Do you notice any changes in the way you feel or in your athletic performance?
I feel fantastic and am loving Paleo so far. So far I've actually lost 6 pounds and I'm definitely feeling stronger since getting meat back into my diet. I was concerned at first that eating meat again would cause me to gain weight so I'm pretty happy about the loss.

I agree that going Paleo is more of a lifestyle change than just a diet. I will continue to be as strict as I can but won't lose sleep over eating out now and again. I have yet to have a cheat meal and it's encouraging to hear people say they still indulge in something like dessert while on Paleo. I'll relax a bit more and allow myself a restaurant meal or two this weekend. I like the suggestion of sticking to poultry and seafood while eating out.

Thanks guys!