CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Ed Haywood

Profile:
Eating my bodyweight in strawberries

I live a few miles from one of the largest strawberry producing areas in the nation, Plant City, FL. The winter crop is coming in, and for the next 2 months strawberries fresh from the fields will be crazy cheap at roadside stands. Right now you can pick up a half-flat for $7, and at the peak of production that will drop to the same price for a full flat. If you are unfamiliar with the term flat, it's a carton with 12 pint pint baskets, or about 10 pounds of berries. Strawberries don't keep more than a day or two, so you gotta eat them.

Last year I gained about 12 pounds during strawberry season. I ate several bowls a day, and usually juiced about half a flat a day. I have to admit I supplemented those berries with milkshakes and shortcake on occasion.

So if I cut out the juice, the cake, and the milkshake, how many berries can I eat without totally blowing myself off the zone? And what eating practices should I follow to minimize my weight gain? Spread them out during the day? Make sure to eat fat with each bowl?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Re: Eating my bodyweight in strawberries

I've been covering my blueberry/raspberry mix with coconut milk and about a teaspoon of sugar. I find it to be quite delicious. I would definitely practice moderation in your case, though that would be incredibly tempting to overindulge.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

Wash, slice, and bag.
Then freeze.
C'mon, you know that's the right thing to do.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Joanna Sapir

Profile:

Forget juicing - you're just getting pure sugar that way. And yes, freeze the extras before they go bad. Of course, if Florida is producing strawberries in the middle of friggin' winter, do you even have an off season?

Also, strawberries are on the Environmental Working Group's "Dirty Dozen" list. That means they're one of the foods most contaminated with pesticides. Although I'm not aware of any mainstream research that says that pesticides in your body can negatively affect weightloss (what agribusiness would fund that?), I'm sure that it's not good for you. If possible, find organic strawberries, though the farms you're talking about are probably huge industrial farming companies? The non-organic producers actually fumigate the soil with some kind of noxious gas. That's even before spraying. Nasty. Find a small organic farmer if you can.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

When in season, I just wash, hull, freeze on cookie sheets, store in bags. Great in smoothies, partially defrosted with some yogurt or coconut milk, etc. I suspect that, Zone aside, you'd probably be okay to eat to satiety the whole berries without added sugar, cream, milk, shortcake, etc.

Strawberry fields (non-organic) are fumigated with bromine to kill soil pathogens.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Patrick Walsh

Profile:

Alton brown had a cool show describing how to flash freeze strawberries using a cooler and dry ice IIRC. The slower freeze the strawberries will get in your standard freezer will result in some of the cell walls exploding. They'll still case good when defrosted, but they'll be a little mushy. Not the case when using dry ice.

And here's the link to the recipe (WFS):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Old 01-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
the farms you're talking about are probably huge industrial farming companies?
No, actually the strawberry farms around here are all small operators, usually family owned. A typical farm is about 20 acres or so, with a house in the middle. Every winter we get a freeze scare, and there are always stories on the local TV news about farmers staying up all night trying to save their crops. Gonna happen tomorrow night, in fact.

But they all use pesticides AFAIK. I doubt you could even grow an organic strawberry in Florida. Too many bugs. I just wash carefully.