CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:
Basement Workouts & The Traveling Road Show

I started Crossfit about 3-1/2 years ago working out with a coworker at lunch at St. Louis Fitness on Hampton Ave which was close to my office at the time. I injured myself training for Judo and then changed jobs and stopped working out. Stopped pretty much all physical activity altogether.

3 years later my 14 year old son is trying to get in better shape for football and I have gotten tired of being out of shape. I decided to start crossfitting again with him and my wife, when she will participate

At Christmas this year I cleaned out the basement and invested in a rack, bumper plates, rings, rower, kettlebells, dynamax balls, pull up bars, benches, etc...pretty much everything needed for me and my family to do most any WOD together.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:
Re: Basement Workouts & The Traveling Road Show

I work for a company that builds facilities for servicemen on military installations throughout the country. This causes me to travel as much as 3-4 days per week, usually spending only 1 or 2 days at each place. Finding time to train around this schedule has been challenging for me.

Today while packing my bag to go to El Paso I started thinking that it would be really cool to try to visit the local crossfit affiliates in the cities that I travel to, do a workout, meet some good people in that crossfit community, take some pictures, and post about each visit on the crossfit forum to share my experiences with other crossfitters.

Tomorrow I plan on doing the WOD at 0600 with the crew at Crossfit El Paso "(b)eastside"

This will be my first experience at a real Crossfit facility. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little nervous...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110217 Crossfit El Paso "(B)eastside"

www.crossfitelpaso.com (wfs)

Yesterday before my visit to White Sands Missile Range I stopped by to visit David Peregrino at Crossfit El Paso Eastside (which it's members affectionately refer to as "Beastside") to do the 6:00 a.m. WOD

Beastside is a no BS hardcore box. They saved all the frills for the Westside facility and have just what is necessary to accomplish the task at hand. David says that this is a direct reflection of the clients they service at the Eastside location. Crossfit El Paso is very proud of their members accomplishments, including their championship Firefighter Combat Challenge Team whose championship banners are displayed from the roof structure above the Eastside facility.

If only I had been there a day earlier...evidently the day before's WOD was brutal and attendance of the next day's 6:00 a.m class was pretty sparse, just 2 of the "Beastside" regulars and I participated in the following WOD:

Warm-up:

10 minutes of POSE drills

WOD:

4 rounds for time of;
run/row 800 meters
rest 3 min between each round/time each round/ keep times consistent

POSE drills were very informative, I had no idea that i've been running wrong since gradeschool...this is going to take some practice to get used to...

I elected to row (because I'm an out of shape guy with a bad knee and ankle...thank you USMC) and posted times of - 3:23/3:37/3:44/3:33

I really enjoyed the experience and appreciate the hospitatlity. I would definately like to train with David and his crew again if I'm back in El Paso.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfit El Paso Interior 1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	7555  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfit El Paso Mural.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	7556  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfit El Paso Rings.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7557  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfit El Paso Gear.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	7558  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossfit El Paso Tshirt.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	7559  

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110218 Basement

3x12 crossfit warmup (green/bench)

Push press 5-5-5-5-5-5-5

135/145/150/155/160/165/175x3f
Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110219 - Basement

Jacob had his friend over so we had to find something that we could do together we came up with this:

50 Sledge Hammer Swings Right side
50 Sledge Hammer Swings Left side
50 kettlebell swings
50 dips
50 wall ball shots
50 box jumps
50 bulgarian bag swings left
50 bulgarian bag swings right

went as fast as we could without breaks (switched between exercises if needed) forgot to start clock
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Trying to find an affiliate in the DC area to train at next Tuesday morning, but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone and no return e-mails or phone calls. I've tried 5 different places...i'm starting to feel unloved
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110220 - Basement

Cindy

10 rounds and change
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110222 Crossfit Sweat- Springfield VA

http://www.crossfitsweatspringfield.com/ (wfs)

Walking in to Crossfit Sweat feels kind of like walking into a friend’s living room. That's how comfortable the atmosphere is there. I was greeted by the facility's two unofficial mascots, a big black standard poodle named Grace (go figure) and George and Alicia’s young daughter. Every person there made a point to introduce themselves and welcome me to their facility. You really get the feeling that they are all one big Crossfit Family. If I lived in the Springfield area and was nervous about starting Crossfit and feeling out of place, or self-conscious about my physical abilities, this is exactly the type of environment that I would want to learn in.

We started off with some stretching and mobility exercises, one I had never done before was laying on your back on the floor with your butt against the wall and your feet on the wall in a squat position, then pushing outwards on your knees…holy crap..I’m going to be putting that one in the rotation…

At 5:30 we started with (2) rounds of the following warmup:
5 chest to bar pullups
7 Burpees
10 jumping squats

Then we did about 10 minutes of coaching on proper technique for the snatch and then some instruction on the clean & jerk while we warmed up and gradually added some weight to get ready for the WOD

We then moved on to the WOD:

“Grace”
30 Clean and Jerk for time …I scaled to 95 pounds and posted 4:04 on the board

I’d like to give special thanks to my training buddy Chika for pushing me on. I had a fantastic time with the whole Crossfit Sweat Family. George, Alicia, and JL are great people and I look forward to training with them again if I’m ever back in Springfield.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110222_183031.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	7600  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110222_183118.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	7601  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110222_183202.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	7602  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110222_184009.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	7603  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110222_203127.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	7604  

Last edited by Jeremy Maddox : 02-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110223 - Revolution Sports/Crossfit Alaska - Anchorage AK

http://www.revolutionsportstraining.com/CrossFit.htm (wfs)

Tony & Clay are talented guys who have been able to develop a self-sustaining (this is full-time gig for these guys) facility in an area of the country that presents a lot of challenges. Between Tony and Clay they have a resume and experience that is hard to beat http://www.revolutionsportstraining.com/Trainers.htm (wfs) both are formally educated in the field, both hold multiple professional and Crossfit certifications, both have competed successfully at the regional and sectional level games, Tony recently threw his hat into the strong-man arena with a victory at the Strongman of the North competition, and Clay has bronze and silver medals at both National and World Firefighter Combat Challenge Championships.

These guys know what they are talking about.

Crossfit Alaska is currently hosting a Paleo Challenge and a dominant theme for conversation seems to be the sharing of paleo friendly recipes and strategies for success on that program.

Tony is the evil mastermind behind the programming of the WOD’s for their affiliate and actually programs for two concurrent tracks with a different bias for strength or metabolic conditioning.

Warm-up:
30 Jumping Jacks
30 Tequila Sunrises
5 Inch Worms
20 Arm Circles (each way)
20 Flutter Kicks??
20 Mountain Climbers

Then we did some Running Drills across the width of the facility (2) laps of each to include:
High Knees
Butt Kickers
Side Straddles
Fast Skip
High Skip
Broad Jump (reset -max distance each time)
Broad Jump (continuous without reset)

WOD:

Option 1 – “Dynamic Duo”

Weighted pull-ups – 5,5,5,failure or 30 Pull-ups for time
500 Meter Row and Planks with partner
If partner fails to hold plank before you finish your 500 the difference in time is added to your 500 meter row time. 5 rounds of rowing and planks per person for time

Option 2 – “Big Sweater”

5 rounds for time:
20 Sumo High Pulls 75/55
20 Wall Ball 20/14
20 Pull-ups
20 Burpees

I elected to do Option 1 and was partnered with Matt, another crossfitter who was visiting the facility for the day. My 30 pull-up time was 1:30 and our Team time for the Row/Planks was 34:57 (with about 3 mins of penalties….I suck at planks)

It was a great workout and Tony invited me to come back the next day since I was going to still be in town…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110223_194700.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	7629  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110223_194727.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	7630  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110223_194740.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	7631  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110223_195122.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	7632  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

110224 - Revolution Sports/Crossfit Alaska - Anchorage AK

http://www.revolutionsportstraining.com/CrossFit.htm (wfs)

Made it to the 5:00 class early and watched Tony and Zach finish up with some kind of high-school sports conditioning class. The kids were surprisingly focused and it looked like Tony and Zach were really enjoying coaching them. I thought it was kind of cool that they offered that kind of thing. It would have been awesome to get high level coaching at that age…

Warm-up:

5x30 second Jump Rope (switch jump style each round)
6 Mini Laps
10 Pull-ups
10 Box Jumps
20 Butterfly Sit-ups
30 Kettlebell Swings (light)
20 Arm Circles (front and back)
30 Tequila Sunrise
5 Inch Worms
10 Inverted hamstrings
10 G/H/H lunges

WOD:

Option 2 – “Push-Away”

Shoulder press = 3 points
Push Press= 2 points
Push Jerk= 1 point
˝ BW without putting bar down until end of all 3 exercises. Perform as many shoulder press as you can before moving on to Push press. Then do as many PP as possible before push jerks. Take a 2 minutes rest and repeat for a total of 5 rounds. Add up total score.

I should have had a better game plan on this one…I blew my wad on the first round with 10 shoulder presses and then 16 Push Presses to failure…I could only do 3 or 4 (or less) of each for the remaining 4 rounds and ended up with a total of only 107 points ….i’m going to add this one to the rotation…one of the Crossfit Alaska Super Studs scored over 300 points on this