CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
So I was on the soccer field, walking/jogging around, not in any action at all, when BAM! Took a step and felt my knee twist a little. It hurt for the next 5 steps, then went away. I finished the game, but it started hurting afterwards and hurt the rest of the night. It's felt unstable since then and sometimes it hurts a lot, can't put much weight on it.

I think it's a small meniscus tear, to the medial meniscus on my right knee (the left/inside of the knee). The twist was to my right knee, where my foot went a little too far clockwise.

I want to see a doctor, but I don't know what kind of doctor I should see first. I want some good imaging to get a confident diagnosis. Should I go straight to an Orthpedic Surgeon? Start with my GP and see where I get referred? What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
If you can get to an orthopod w/o a referral, that would probably be your best bet. There are specific orthopedic tests designed to elicit meniscus pain and/or tearing. Whether or not an MRI is ordered immediately or not will depend on the individual doc and what he finds on physical exam.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Go directly to an ortho if you can. My GP messed around with my for over a year giving me exercises and anti inflamitories before I finally went to an ortho myself and was scheduled for surgery shortly after. This was years ago and I've never had a problem since the surgery.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I got an appointment with an ortho for Tuesday the 20th. I'll let you all know my results in case anyone's curious.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
Always curious.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Got an x-ray and evaluation today. The evaluation went well I think. Before I saw the primary doctor I saw a person working under him. She poked, prodded, pushed, pulled, and twisted different ways to find where the pain was. She was able to produce some catching of the knee during extension. Next I saw the primary doctor, and he did some similar tests, but was unable to produce catching. The x-ray indicated nothing with regard to the meniscus, all you could see was bone and a little tissue where it was dense and thick. I think it was just procedure.

The doctor scheduled an MRI for tomorrow, which will be more conclusive. His conclusion after seeing me was that the MRI should be used to determine between a meniscus tear or a possible patellar subluxation. I am thinking it's a smaller meniscus tear. I'll post more info when I get the MRI results, which should be on Friday.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Looks like the Cincy crew is falling apart. Hope it's alright Ben. I'll find out something on mine Friday too (course, I know what happened with my injury).
Old 09-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
At least you guys have a good Bengal team this year :-)

Or so it would appear.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Saw the doctor to review my MRI. The diagnosis is a small meniscus tear in the front half of the right knee's medial meniscus. It's more of a scratch than a tear because it is on the thicker edge of the meniscus and does not go all the way through.

The GREAT news is that it is in the vascularized region of the meniscus (the outer 20-25% of the half-moon) so it will most likely heal with rest and rehab in a period of 2 months or more.

I'm obviously relieved to have dodged the arthroscope, and even more glad that the likelihood of healing is high with conservative treatment. I bought 10 weeks worth of glucosamine chondroitin to celebrate.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

Ben, glad to hear that it wasn't too bad. Good luck with the rehab!