CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Damon Stewart

Profile:
GTG for Bench Press/Strict Press

I'm just finishing a SS/Milk cycle (my 2nd in 2 years) but still feel like my pressing is lagging my other lifts. Linda is one of a very WOD that's I'm still scaling due to the 45 BW bench presses. Has anyone tried GTG for pressing? 1 RM BP is 175, SP is 135. I'm thinking of doing 3 x 135 BP and 3 x 105 SP every time I walk by (probably 10-15x day) for 6 weeks and seeing how it goes. Anyone every done it or have any advice, opinions, etc.?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: GTG for Bench Press/Strict Press

It will work if that's what you're asking. Read Pavel's article on dragondoor for how to structure something like this.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Zac Jereb

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
I'm just finishing a SS/Milk cycle (my 2nd in 2 years) but still feel like my pressing is lagging my other lifts. Linda is one of a very WOD that's I'm still scaling due to the 45 BW bench presses. Has anyone tried GTG for pressing? 1 RM BP is 175, SP is 135. I'm thinking of doing 3 x 135 BP and 3 x 105 SP every time I walk by (probably 10-15x day) for 6 weeks and seeing how it goes. Anyone every done it or have any advice, opinions, etc.?

Your SP is very close to your BP, about 80% of your BP. Typically (and I think this is a piece of information I got from Rippetoe) one's overhead press is right around 70% of their bench (that's the case for me and several others I've spoken to, at least). Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is that the proximity of your max overhead to your max bench makes me think your bench press may be too tricep-dominant, and you might not be using your pecs to their fullest potential. What kind of grip are you using? Narrow? If so, try wide for a while just to bring up your pecs, and then try maxing with a moderate grip - I used to bench narrow, and doing what I just described helped me A. bring up my bench and B. really work through a sticking point I had a few inches short of lockout.

But while the above might help you deal with Linda it won't do much of anything for your overhead.

Anyway, I've never tried GTG, but it sounds like a good move to me - don't underestimate the role of the CNS in max lifts. That said, I think some Westside style dynamic effort work (12 sets of 2-3 with 50-70% of your 1RM with short rests) would do everything GTG claims to do and then some (Note: I've done Westide style training - one ME and one DE day per week - for my overhead pressing, and it has worked wonders for me). Even better, it'd be a lot easier to fit into a typical training schedule than GTG.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Michael Socha

Profile:

Add chins to your SS workout and/or move to intermediate programming, 5x5.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Yes it should work. Let us know in 6 weeks

Make sure to increase the weight as 3 reps gets easier