CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Pär Larsson

Profile:
If you designed CrossFit, what would be different?

If you designed CrossFit, what would be different?

I honestly would like to hear your opinions on this, so don't just focus on criticizing the following, please.

I personally would probably reduce some of the emphasis on some gymnastics moves lacking direct application to real-life situations or moves, add some emphasis on swimming (at the Games only, can't do it for average "box" affiliates) and running a 5k-ish/10k distance at least once in a while, and usually 1 endurance run/crawl/obstacles/loadbearing event at each competition. More wall-climbing, less muscle-upping. Olympic lifts would still be there, but the emphasis would be to go from ground to overhead no matter which way, without a huge focus on each individual way of doing it, at least in competitions, but keeping thrusters.

More obstacle-course work in competitions and less focus on extremely large numbers of single-exercise reps, i.e. very few "100 pullups for time". More san*****s and odd-shaped objects and less super-stable, very convenient, but gym-only equipment like weightlifting shoes, roman rings and barbells - but still keep rings and of course barbells in some benchmark wods. Can't really avoid barbells, just thinking that today's average crossfitter is very good with lifting as long as it's not something inconveniently shaped. Roman rings are great, but that time might often but not always be better spent doing something more natural and directly applicable like wall-climbing, rope-climbing & transfers, parkour or learning the "mantling" move.

A 100#, 150#, 175# and a 200# body-shaped dummy in each gym for buddy-carrying and maybe dragging/obstacles. A throwing event at each Games, and also some non-technical climbing, i.e. no ropes or harnesses, just maybe a really steep hill or reverse incline monkeybars/hanging ladder over water. Box-jump high jump in competition? HSPUs would be more for once in a long while or just showing off, as I've only ever seen one real-world direct natural application, but I might be a tad biased there.

Somehow I don't think my version of CF would have been as commercially and socially successful. People like convenience and easily quantifiable visual progress such as putting more weight on a convenient barbell, but don't like to run very much, esp. not further than 400m, I've come to notice. I'm sure some would appreciate watching people get wet at the Games, though.

Why harp on the Games? Because that's what many train for, and it's held up as the best possible test of functional fitness. Also, apparently you can't write "bags of sand" on these forums, hehe.

Last edited by Pär Larsson : 07-09-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: "bags full of sand" is a dirty word??
Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
Re: If you designed CrossFit, what would be different?

I get where you're going with it, but what's cool about crossfit competitions is watching the pros rep out movements that we all struggle with. Basically, we can relate. Buddy carries and climbing walls is tough, but I think it would be more like watching boot camp or American gladiators and less like watching the crossfit games. It's those explosive movements man, they're just impressive. And that goes not only for watching them, but for executing them as well. My first muscle-up was a really great day for me. And to see a big guy like Khalipa rep them out and jump right into snatches during "Amanda" at last years games, I can appreciate just how awesome that is.

Last edited by Jordan K Smith : 07-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I agree with some of your games stuff. The thing I don't really like about the games is that they're really "crossfitty." I always thought the idea behind Crossfit was to be the best program for preparing you for "other things."'you know the whole "we're almost as good at you at what you do and better than you at everything else" and "whatever life throws at you." I wish they would use those other things to test Crossfit in the games instead of using the program to test the effectiveness of the program. Plus I think it would be more fun to watch. A good example I think is the tahoe throwdown. Yeah they did a lot of Crossfit stuff. But things like the log throw event, paddle board, car push, etc I felt like were the real gems that made it fun to watch. Moreso than the games IMO.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 07-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Guys would have their shirts on more.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I think some people fail to remember that 95% of people that crossfit couldn't care less about the games.

For those that do compete, if the events / format changed then their training program would change with it.

Any workout with 100 reps of stuff in it, like the one at regionals, is just plain dumb.

I also fail to see a real world application for double unders but I might be a bit biased.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

If what you want is discussions of how the games should be different there have been lots of threads over in the competitions folder.

I've posted over there several times but I'll sum up quickly here:
Needs to have more mono structural events than last year. Just running (or swimming, but if they have a swimming event they should give forewarning so people can learn some technique) and just lifting are important measurements of fitness and need to be included if they want the competition to be a "who's fittest" competition that anyone outside our community respects. Last year it was a "who's best just at this specific type of workout that nobody specializes in but us" competition and then they tried to claim that that made the winners fittest on earth.

I agree with you that odd object stuff and some low skill throwing would be cool, too.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Gary Butterfield

Profile:

I think there's been some fantastic points raised here. I think there should definitely be more endurance work in there such as running and swimming, and the distances should be bigger, I'm a marathon runner as well as a CrossFitter, but don't worry, I think that sort of distance is a tad extreme . The main reason I guess that they don't add more of a distance to the games is down to the time frame to complete them, but surely they can't take that much longer than the larger sessions in the competitions.

I'd love to see more uneven lifting in the competition through the use of sandbags, atlas stones, barrels etc, I love doing that sort of stuff! As formentioned though, should things like that be introduced in the games, the athletes competing will change their training style and nothing really will have changed.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Jason Halm

Profile:

I'd like to see stuff in singular modalities, like 1rm and running workouts. Swimming and climbing would be nice, also.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Jim Denofa

Profile:

I would not allow people to call gym's "boxes"
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Shane Jensen

Profile:

In that same vein, using WOD (or any alteration of WOD) as a verb would be forbidden.