CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Victor Putz

Profile:
Why is correct ring support "open"?

I've seen this in numerous places, from Steven Low's posts to the Drillsandskills pages, and I'm trying my best (it certainly is harder--and curiously, hits my forearms more than parallel).

But I started wondering--why is the "correct" ring support position open (ie "turned out between 15 and 45 degrees so that the insides of your elbows are facing forward")?

Is it a "because it's harder and thus more of a gradeable gymnastics challenge" thing, a "purely aesthetic" thing, a "most people hit their forearms on the straps if they don't do it right" thing, or some physiological thing I haven't figured out yet?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Why is correct ring support "open"?

In general I think it translates to performing other skills and transitioning to other skills better.

I could be wrong though.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

You have more control of advanced skills, and it's deduction to let your forearms touch the cables (which you may have noticed occurs a lot if you do muscle ups with the rings turned in -- strap burns)

For example, if you try to press to handstand with the rings turned in (1) your forearms contact the cables which is a deduction, and (2) if you overbalance just slightly you fall over. If they're turned out or parallel you can easily balance your handstand with your forearms shifting back and forth.

I believe we have discussed this on this forum a couple times before (although not recently).
Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Victor Putz

Profile:

Probably so, but it's one of those things that for whatever reason I couldn't come up with the right search terms.

Hm, though--I get much more forearm contact with rings turned out a little bit than with them parallel. Something for me to analyze and figure out.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

How far apart are your rings set? Seems like most CF'ers put them too close together, Steven isn't regulation like 20"?

OK, yeah, googled it, from the still ring wiki page - distance apart is 50cm (= 19.7").
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, it's 50cm. The majority of people don't have shoulders that wide so they'll be at least even or a bit further out than your shoulder girdle unless you're probably like > 6'2"