CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
David S Shiroma

Profile:
Hello to the CF community!

Hello CF community,

My name is David Shiroma, I am new to CF and I wanted to introduce myself to those who I will be getting advice and encouragement from.

A little history and goals:
I am 30yrs old, and recovering from a 3.5 year stint of couchpotatoing.
My goal is to get back into eating clean, and good physical shape.
Currently at 5'9, 200 lbs. My physical goal is to get to 175/180 but I'm not obsessed with the number but with overall physical performance(getting back to looking good won't hurt either )

A little disappointing to me is that before I did this to myself, I followed strict clean eating practices; I was in decent shape: did a middle-pack performance in an olympic length triathlon, could do a good number of pull ups(25 or so.. never really counted to remember) etc.
Now, I cannot do a single unassisted pull up.
A lot can un-happen in 3+ years.
The things I can't do any more are frustrating as all get-out.

About 3 months ago a big life change happened and I realized I was rather unhappy with my state of fitness.

I've altered my eating habits to get back to clean eating, exercise 4-5 times a week and have started CF.

I finally broke the 200lb barrier again; it feels great and I look forward to challenging myself on the WoDs so I can finally do them eventally as Rx'd.

I look forward to asking questions and keeping the community informed on my progress.

-Dave

(My apologies to the admins/mods if this is a double post, my browser glitched when I submitted)
Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Kenneth A Hinz

Profile:
Re: Hello to the CF community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S Shiroma View Post
Hello CF community,

My name is David Shiroma, I am new to CF and I wanted to introduce myself to those who I will be getting advice and encouragement from.

A little history and goals:
I am 30yrs old, and recovering from a 3.5 year stint of couchpotatoing.
My goal is to get back into eating clean, and good physical shape.
Currently at 5'9, 200 lbs. My physical goal is to get to 175/180 but I'm not obsessed with the number but with overall physical performance(getting back to looking good won't hurt either )

A little disappointing to me is that before I did this to myself, I followed strict clean eating practices; I was in decent shape: did a middle-pack performance in an olympic length triathlon, could do a good number of pull ups(25 or so.. never really counted to remember) etc.
Now, I cannot do a single unassisted pull up.
A lot can un-happen in 3+ years.
The things I can't do any more are frustrating as all get-out.

About 3 months ago a big life change happened and I realized I was rather unhappy with my state of fitness.

I've altered my eating habits to get back to clean eating, exercise 4-5 times a week and have started CF.

I finally broke the 200lb barrier again; it feels great and I look forward to challenging myself on the WoDs so I can finally do them eventally as Rx'd.

I look forward to asking questions and keeping the community informed on my progress.

-Dave

(My apologies to the admins/mods if this is a double post, my browser glitched when I submitted)
David,

Welcome, I am new to the CF nation to.....and the first thing you will be told is to read the FAQ and watch as many demo video as you can.
Stick with it, take your time and ask as many questions as you can. I have found that this is the most supportive form.......
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Christy Warren

Profile:

Welcome Dave! Crossfit is amazing. the community is even more amazing! kick *** and ask all the questions you can think of!!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

welcome!

scale, scale, scale

start a log so we can keep an eye on you!

enjoy!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
David S Shiroma

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome!

Kenneth-
I found the videos for the most part very informative and valuable.
Especially for workouts that I have never done before, but also for simply refreshing my mind on how they are supposed to work.

Christy-
Thanks I know! I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now and the community definitely kicks butt! Its what sold me on joining the boards.

Marcus-
Scaling.. yeah... I've had to scale the workouts quite a bit. But they'll get there. I'm sure of it.
I've already started a log.