CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
Supplement Industry Rant

Ok, so I had a customer contact us and ask what is the difference between BSN's Syntha-6 and our Nitrean or Nitrean+. To be honest, I knew their product used a blend, and I know I had looked at it in the past, but it had been some time so I decided to look it up. Here is what I saw:

"Protein & Amino Acid Matrix Comprised of (Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk & Soy], Whey Protein Isolate [Milk & Soy], Calcium Caseinate Casein [Milk & Soy], Micellar Casein [Milk & Soy], Milk Protein Isolate [Milk & Soy], Egg Albumen [Egg], and Glutamine Peptides [Wheat]), Sunflower Powder Consisting of (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate [Milk], Mono- & Di-Glycerides, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Lecithin [Soy], and Tocopherols), Polydextrose, Natural & Artificial Flavors [Milk & Soy], MCT Powder Consisting of (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Disodium Phosphate, and Silicon Dioxide), Cellulose Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, FD&C Yellow #5, Papain, and Bromelain."

Now, I don't remember the product having included soy protein in the past, but I can't be sure. I can't tell you how surprised I was. A lot of people love and recommend this product. I wonder if they realize a large component of its protein is soy derived?

This brings me to my rant. First, just look at the way it is listed. They try to hide the soy content. Soy just happens to be a very inexpensive protein when compared to milk proteins. Next, the primary ingredient is whey concentrate. There is nothing wrong with whey concentrate per se, but it is the least expensive form of whey protein. In addition, whey concentrate can vary dramatically in its protein content by weight. Based upon the fact they have a lot of soy in their product and concentrate is the primary form of whey I am willing to bet the whey concentrate they use is a cheaper, higher lactose version as opposed to the 80+% versions you can get.

Another thing about the labeling is that ingredients must be listed in order of inclusion from most to least. Whey and soy concentrate being first could mean that it is only a relatively small percentage of the total protein, say 30%, OR it could mean it is 90% and the other protein types are only included in token amounts. Of the percent inclusion, whatever it is, how much is whey and how much is soy? All of this is not to mention the 13g of carbs per serving which are yet another very inexpensive ingredient.

Do you get the point? 5 lbs of this stuff sells on Bodybuilding.com for $44.99 and it is made up of the cheapest ingredients more or less possible for a protein supplement yet they market it like it is some kind of premium product. Their margin must be VERY nice. No wonder they have huge ad budgets.

The REALLY sad part is none of the above makes a difference to most people. In their mind that product compares very favorably with my Nitrean, Nitrean+, or Opticen products when in reality they are WORLDS apart in terms of ingredients. Just a quick example, Nitrean uses whey concentrate as its primary form of whey, but while that may sound similar at face value it isn't. The quality of the concentrate is very high (high protein by weight). Concentrate also only accounts for about 50% of the whey blend in the product and whey itself about 64% of the total protein (with casein and egg coming in at about 18% each - Nitrean+ is a different matrix with whey isolate being the primary type). In other words, whey isolate and hydrolyzed isolate also contribute significantly to the whey blend.

Anyway, I was just thinking about this and had to say something. Most supplement companies take the low road, the road to maximized profits at the expense of the products. Other companies, like mine, do it right. Who do you want to support?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Supplement Industry Rant

That's why I've traditionally bought vitamin shoppe brand whey for $19. If I'm getting cheap sh*t I might as well pay the right price for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I don't know anything about the supplement industry other than that I'm not interested in any of it.

$45 for 5 lbs, you say?

For $45 I'd rather buy 10 whole chickens. they taste better. Or 3 pork shoulders. 15 lbs of ground beef. 30 dozen eggs...

I know you're also involved in the supplement industry, and this is not meant as an insult to them... there are legitmate products out there for certain needs. chickens still taste better than all of them!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Mike Johnson

Profile:

Since you brought it up, what is really wrong with soy protein? I'm talking about actual facts, not potential moob growth or some other estrogen related theory.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
That's why I've traditionally bought vitamin shoppe brand whey for $19. If I'm getting cheap sh*t I might as well pay the right price for it.
Lol, well, I suppose that is true...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
I don't know anything about the supplement industry other than that I'm not interested in any of it.

$45 for 5 lbs, you say?

For $45 I'd rather buy 10 whole chickens. they taste better. Or 3 pork shoulders. 15 lbs of ground beef. 30 dozen eggs...

I know you're also involved in the supplement industry, and this is not meant as an insult to them... there are legitmate products out there for certain needs. chickens still taste better than all of them!
Meat is great. As I have said a million times, protein supplements are supplements of convenience. They are also useful on very low calorie diets.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
Since you brought it up, what is really wrong with soy protein? I'm talking about actual facts, not potential moob growth or some other estrogen related theory.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...-patients.html (WFS)

Quote:
To me a happy medium seems the best; assuming no pre-existing thyroid problems, soy products are probably safe in moderation. What’s moderation? In The Protein Book, I suggested a daily maximum of perhaps 20-25 grams of soy protein on a daily basis. Based on the average phytoestrogen content of most soy proteins (generally 2-3 mg phytoestrogen per gram of soy protein), that will keep most people below the threshold where any sorts of issues start to crop up.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I didn't read the link, but I agree with the moderation of intake and daily dose listed here. I've got a study which referenced the potential detrimental effects of excess soy intake and I will see if I can dig it up.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

This isn't the study I was referring to, but here is something: WFS - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22210487

FYI, I was simply referring to the cost of soy protein and actually didn't reference it from an efficacy or safety standpoint. With that said, excess intake is not a good idea and soy is generally considered inferior to milk proteins for athletic purposes.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Mike Johnson

Profile:

Thanks Chris!