CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #891
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Westernacher View Post
I more and more come to the conclusion that it's a mental thing and that I have to come over that fast. How should I deal with a mental block?
Whatever works for you to get amped up. Loud music, a few deep breaths, tightening your belt, stomping around, whatever...the main thing is just to think about attacking the bar and telling yourself you're not racking it til you get at least 8 reps.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #892
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Whatever works for you to get amped up. Loud music, a few deep breaths, tightening your belt, stomping around, whatever...the main thing is just to think about attacking the bar and telling yourself you're not racking it til you get at least 8 reps.
Thank you, I will report how it went
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #893
Will Feber

Profile:

Stefan, I've struggled with similar issues. What hugely helped me is being more aggressive, some caffein before training, making sure I've eaten enough and also not too long ago (>4 hours) before training. Also training in the morning always lead to really unpredictable results.

Getting comfortable with failing was also a good idea. For me it felt like once I've crossed some threshold with weight on the bar, it went from "heavy but doable" to "holy ****! even the first rep feels really heavy". It just took a bit to get used to that difference and knowing that I could safely fail. It might feel like there is no way you can do another 2 or 3 reps, but then you are actually able to. I take videos frequently to make sure I push myself as hard as I can, but also don't screw up the form and injure myself long-term.

If it's higher reps you are shooting for, I also found it important to breath properly between every rep and don't rush it like crazy.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #894
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Working out from home is what helped it for me, ie not having to care what anyone else thinks I fail or am lifting heaps heavier / lighter than they can.

Also training in the afternoon helped as well. Training in the morning was unpredictable due to differences in sleep, differences in how pre-workout drink / snack sat in my stomach, differences in warming up etc. Whereas in the afternoon, everything feels the same each day.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #895
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

That was exactly what I did today with my DL and Bench day. I was really aggressive and said to myself not to stop before there is no other possibility.
But then this happened:

Bench 5/5/8 -> 5/5/6 (the 6th rep was all out)
DL 5/5/9 -> 5/5/6 (tried a 7th, but my back only rounded and nothing more happened)

First I was really disappointed, but then I thought about how this could happen and talked to a few guys. One of them had the idea that one bar I train with could be lighter then the others.
For that I have to say that I train at home and at a weightlifting club. At home I have a power rack with bar and weights, which I bought secondhand a few years ago. The vendor sold it as a 20 kg bar and also at the shop where he bought the set was with a 20 kg bar, so I never doubted it.
Everytime the weight felt heavy and I had problems was at the weightlifting club. So right after the training I drove home and carried the bar to the scale. And there it was...
15 kg. f***** 15 kg

I sabotaged my own training over months and it didn't come to my mind to weigh this bar one time...

back to topic:
Should I go on now with the lighter weight or reset once because all the trouble?

Last edited by Stefan Westernacher : 08-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #896
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You haven't sabotaged anything...as long as you've been doing + sets you've been getting stronger, even if the bar didn't weigh exactly what you thought it did. Just pick back up with a weight you can get regularly for your 5+ sets and continue your progress.

Also, you should only be doing a single set of 5+ on deadlift once you're warmed up, so if you're doing 5/5/6 you're doing too many reps at a high weight.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #897
Stefan Westernacher

Profile:

Yes sure I trained with heavy weight, but I doubted myself a few times because of that mistake.

I only did 5+ on the DL I mistakenly wrote 5/5/5+
Old 08-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #898
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You would think it's a lot easier to simply ban the handful of idiots who mess things up rather than moderate every single post that comes through.
lol i just got an alert email to say JP posted on his forums and I almost wet my pants
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #899
Will Feber

Profile:

My upper body strength is pretty weak compared to the rest (At 79kg bw, 87kg bench, 63kg press, 158kg squat, 205kg deadlift). Would it make sense to do more upper body assistance lifts than just two sets of curls or chins?

The GSLP book lists a few assistance lifts with set and rep recommendations. But doesn't mention how to program them? I've seen people here post stuff like dips after bench pressing and so on.

Would it be alright in each workout to do 2 sets of curls or chins and then 2 sets of some triceps movement like dips or skull crushers?

I've fried FM pushups, but started to have issues with my shoulders at some point, despite correct form.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #900
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I used to throw in 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps of weighted dips at the end of every press day. They help a lot for triceps strength on your press and for lockout on your bench. A few heavy sets of incline bench after benching wouldn't hurt either. A few sets of heavy dumbbell rows in high rep ranges (~20-30) will also help for upper back stability on bench and press, and with securing the bar on your back during squats.