CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Evan Gray

Profile:
Hello All!

I stumbled over this site from one of friends who was experimenting with at the end of the semester last year. Over the summer I have taken a great deal of time reading posts regarding the WOD's, nutrition, fitness, methodology etc. The people hear know what they are talking about. I have been interested in fitness, nutrition and performance since I was in high school (now in college) and I have never seem a group of individuals so dedicated, educated and encouraging as the people here. That being said heres a little background about me.

I am a 20 year old college student in Texas. Just kind of meandering through this thing called life trying to figure it out as I go. I have background in football and baseball from my youth up into high school. But it was not untill my senior year that I really became interested in fitness. Over the past few years I have experiemented in both the arenas of excercise and nutrition. From BB routines to endurance training, and excessive calorie mass gain style eating to small portions spread throughout the day. I some where in the area of 6'5"-6'6" tall and at around 170-175#. Very lean individual, but not very fit following the definition put forth by this site. My hope is to get fit in aspects, develope sound nutritional habits, have fun and just enjoy life.

I have noticed over the years that my bodys natural abilities lend itself to metcon very easily. Strength not so much. I have been toying around with simple fit and the SS routine for a couple of months now just trying to get back in the swing of things. My strength base is very low and since it is low right now I have been trying to master my form on the DL, BP and BS. Also, trying to learn the Oly-lifts. I am interested in doing the WOD's at some point but I dont know if I should scale them way down or try to build a better strength base first (i know this is highly debated on the boards). According to Coach Rips standards I am considered "untrained" in almost every catagory. So just looking for a little insight on all of this.

Sorry that was long, but I felt it necessary to introduce myself and give a little background on myself, abilities and goals.

Any advice on starting, nutrition, ideology or whatever else would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Welcome!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Welcome, Evan. If you're in Carrollton, you're already close to several affiliates. You're also two hours from Rip's gym in Wichita Falls. Come up anytime.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Welcome Evan! Post any questions here.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Evan Gray

Profile:
Thanks guys
Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Evan Gray

Profile:
Gant: May have overlooked this somewhere, but where are the affiliates that you speak of located? Thanks for the welcome.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Evan,

The affiliates are located here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/ w/f safe link

locate your state and see which ones are close to you.

they are also located on the main page near the bottom on the right hand side as seen by this w/f safe link: http://www.crossfit.com/