CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-06-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
Janet Fisher

Profile:

You know how kids move, completely fluid? I was hoping that increased fitness would restore some of that, but the muscles around my scapula (and others) still won't let go.

Anyone have a trick for regaining fluid muscles? Yoga moves, nutritional supplements, etc?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
Janet:

Hope that you do not have my physical affliction- old age! Just kidding. I have found that good warmups (breaking a sweat) and streching and working through it helps. Spend $50 on an hour's massage. Have a good weekend!

Gerry
Old 03-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Robert Tappan

Profile:  
Yogis have used turmeric for centuries for hatha yoga practices.

Here's an intro link:

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/543_1.cfm

I think the average dose is about 1 tsp daily (broken up into 2 or 3 dosages).
Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Janet:

You might consider the range-of-motion exercises (ROM) promoted by Pavel Tsatsouline in his book "Super Joints".

He describes a lot of movements, most of them not strenuous in the sense of requiring great physical strength, but still challenging . . . and oriented toward preserving or extending balance and range-of-motion at joints, not just stretching muscles and tendons. (He'll provide other books for you to buy to address that issue.)

I find his programs in Super Joints (he has several) actually pretty good for their purpose, and a decent supplement to CrossFit. (For most Americans, just doing one of those programs would probably produce a signficant increase in well-being . . . at least they would move.)

I would also second the recommendation for warmups (SJ can fill that role nicely), and massage.

In fact, if you're the kind of person who enjoys "bodywork" (and can afford the cost), I'd highly recommend getting "Rolfed" . . . deep tissue massage originated by a woman named Ida Rolf (hence the name), also known as "Structural Integration"). It ain't cheap, but I found it tremendously liberating, and useful for addressing areas of chronic tension and pain.

As far as getting old, I've noticed that gravity seems to be getting stronger by about 1% every year . . . slow, subtle, but continuous. Gerry, have you noticed that too?

Dave
Old 03-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
Janet Fisher

Profile:

These are excellent suggestions!!! Thank you!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:08 AM   #6
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
David:

At 43 I feel that I am in reach of being stronger and in better shape than when I was 22 and athletic. I weigh more or less the same. I have always wanted to have 10% body fat but suspect that I am probably 12-13%.I suspect it is largely diet and I have never done alot in the way of abs. Not certain if I will ever see it.

Gerry
Old 03-12-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gerry-
Check this out:
http://aris.ss.uci.edu/mbs/personnel...ryfitness.html

that is where you could be at 63 with a paleo/zone diet ad crossfit!
Old 03-28-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Regarding tight muscles again, I went for a hard-core Shiatsu massage yesterday and it's the first massage to make a difference. I like the theory behind it as well (undoing blocked blood flow, pushing everything to the extremities instead of to the heart). It was better than myofacia release, deep tissue massage, Thai massage, etc.
Next, "Super Joints" to maintain the success.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
Justin Rawley

Profile:

Myofacial release seems to help a lot
Old 06-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
How about just stretching often? Most folks loose flexiblity and ROM as they age simply because they have a more and more sedentary lifestyle, excluding those on this board of course. But even active adults in general don't stretch enough IMHO. Most folks should get in a nice mild stretch out a few times a day if at all possible.