CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-01-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Has anyone here ever broken their scaphoid bone? It is the most common fracture in the wrist. especially with football players(and snowboarders :-)

If none of you have, then let me tell ya. YOU DONT WANT TO! Well, you dont wanna break ANY bone, but extra emphasis on this. Scaphoids have very poor blood supply, and when fractured, the blood supply it has is going to be destroyed 9 times out of 10. It takes forever to heal, and there have been reports of people being casted for up to a year and still not healing! What a pathetic little critter. Lots of times after its healed, its followed by arthritis anyway.

Im in therapy for it now after the second surgery from fracturing it over two years ago. Im glad to say its getting a lot better, but it still wont be at full range of motion again. Its gonna be quite a while before i can do any cleans and/or its variations. The rings dont seem to bother it when i do pullups, but doing pullups on a bar do. I havent dared tried a dip yet because that puts the most stress on this bone. pushups on the fists are do-able. Anyone ever break this bone and if not, broken their wrist anywhere? The scaphoid is the cashew shaped bone under the base of the thumb.

My advice: if you're about to take a spill and have quick reactions, you're better off landing on you're elbow than scaphoid! It will heal much faster if broken.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Better yet, learn how to roll/breakfall. I can't count the number of times a forward shoulder roll (learned from a couple of months of Aikido) has saved my butt (usually while roller blading - brings back a memory of Bascom Hill at UW-Madison. I knew the hill was long. I knew it was steep. I knew it was dark. I DIDN'T know they were resurfacing the bridge at the bottom of the hill - I still have a scar.)
Old 09-02-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hey Ryan,

Don't you think that Bascom Hill would be a wonderful place for bearcrawls, sprinting or sled pulling? I can just imagine the looks I'd be getting... :-)
Old 09-02-2003, 08:11 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Kelly,

Looks indeed. I'd guess that for more than half of the students, just walking up that hill is their WOD (especially for Friday morining classes).

-Ryan