CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Nick Martinez

Profile:
The most annoying obstacle to anyone's training is the common cold! I'd like to put this out there: What do all you guys do when you get sick. Do you continue to go to the gym at 100%, lay down the intensity a little, or just not train until you are better. I choose to not train, only because I feel that being sick warrants more rest and that a WOD can't be good when nurrsing a cold/cough. What about you guys?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Nick,

I just got over this cold/sore throat thing that's been going around work last week. I had it for about a week-and-a-half.

The first couple of days, I tried to work through it and do the WOD. I found that my intensity level was at such a low level, though, that it wasn't worth my time. I might as well have just joined the rest of the out-of-shape oafs and done preacher curls all day. ;-)

So I decided to back off the WODs. I still did gymnastics twice a week and continued to play/practice sports. This seemed to work for me, although I must admit I felt a bit de-conditioned when returning to the WOD last Friday, even after only a couple of weeks off. My 1RM DL (which is incredibly weak, anyway) dropped down about 10 lbs.

Mike
Old 06-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nick- I usually back off for several days. The cold is a bit of a canary in the coal mine...it is alerting one to a depressed immune system from some factor(s). Keep an eye on nutrition, sleep, intensity of training, stress.
Robb
Old 06-03-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Well this cold is killing me! I must be hooked on these workouts because watching 4 WODs go by without being able to have a crack at them has made me utterly depressed. At least this addiction has positive effects rather than negative, but boy, life can be hard when you don't get your regular "fix" :happy: