CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Stephen Clayman

Profile:
I've been reading the boards for a while and I have decided to finally purchase a kettlebell. I have searched many old threads but I still can't decide between the 16kg or the 24kg. Would anyone care to point me in the right direction? Thanks Steve-O
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
If you plan on just using the KB for swings and maybe a few other moves, and if you weigh over 150# (I'll assume yes) then my advice would be to get the 24kg KB if you can only get one.

Practice swings and high pulls, learn to rack the KB with two hands and then you can press, jerk, front squat, do thrusters, etc, with it.

If you really get into KBs, then you may want to get another 24 or 32, depending on your size, strength and/or goals. "KB Fever" has been know to infect quite a few people! Track down a RKC in your area, or at least someone who has trained with one. Strong CF athletes + bad technique = injuries!!

Check out Eugene's notes of my KB workshop in the CF FAQ section of this website, plus check the notes of my seminar at www.rainiercrossfit.com under CF 201 (I think).

Email me at kbfiremantom@yahoo.com with any other Qs and be sure to put KB training in the subject line of your email.

Tom
Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Stephen Clayman

Profile:
Thanks for the help Tom. Right now I'm about 185 so it looks like the 24kg will do. Steve-O
Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Stephen - I have 16 kettlebells from 17 to 88 pounds with pairs of 26, 36, 44 and 52. In my gym the girls use the 26 and 36's all the time and the guys use the 36 and 44's all the time. The 24 kg/52 does not get used nearly as much. You might want to consider a 44 - 20 kg bell as a compromise. If you want to juggle the bells a la Jeff Martone's Hand 2 Hand KB drills, the 36 is the way to go. If you want to do strength work a la Mike Mahler go with the 52 lb bell.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Stephen, Tom & Eugene are both very expeienced KB trainers, and are giving you solid advice.
Do not compromise your technique to go heavier.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Just for fun I'll offer another opinion. Get the 24kg KB AND get another lighter weight KB. I would spend good money and get a good 24kg KB. However, I would try to scrounge and find a used or really cheap light KB. By light I mean 8, 12 or 16kg. There are lots of cheap dealers of KBs out there. It doesn't even have to be a real iron KB, they sell rubber ones now. I think it's a good idea to have a light bell around to warmup and learn new moves with before tackling them with the 24kg.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
I am new to KB. I have purchased an 8KG and a 24KG with a 16KG in the land of lost UPS toys. I suspect that if I use the 24KG in the near term, it will be just for basic swings. I am thinking the 16KG will be the one I will use most of the time until I take it up a *big* notch.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Agree with Eugene that the 44 would be a good compromise, but at 185# and being in CF shape, that weight might be too light for swings, even though it would be great for learning to snatch and press and do some H2H drills.

Good luck and the 24 will work great for the basics. Once you learn them and want to do more, you'll want to think about some specific goals, and you can ask me about your next KB purchase.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Stephen Clayman

Profile:
Thanks for the help gents. It looks like the 20kg will be a solid compromise. Now where should I buy it. Is DD the only place that sells them?
Steve-O
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
There has been a lot of recent board discussion on this particular topic.