CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Christopher Chippa

Profile:
Study: Big, Carb-Heavy Breakfast

Came across this article this morning.

Study: Big, Carb-Heavy Breakfast Key to Weight Loss
"Eating a big breakfast, heavy in carbs, is the key to keeping slim, according to new research.

A new study found that women who eat half of their daily calories first thing in the morning lose more weight in the long term than those who start the day with a small breakfast."

The rest can be found here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368462,00.html

No sources provided of course, and no info on the foods they ate. I'm guessing it was a low-fat diet as well.

I am not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here, but was just curious if any had any ideas how they arrived at the conclusion. I just dont see how a big insulin spike in the morning would help curb carb cravings all day.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Re: Study: Big, Carb-Heavy Breakfast

You would soon be asleep by noon from the resulting blood sugar crash and forget to eat the rest of the day from all the brain fog.

Modern media news...helping America stay fat and sick since 1982....
Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Note also, it only says that they lost weight. It says nothing of body composition.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

There is a little more detail of the diet here. (WFS) The successful participants were on a restricted calorie, isocalorific diet, can anyone say Zone. The difference was they got close to 50% of their daily calories for breakfast. Breakfast was also 1:1:1 energy from Fat, Carbs and Protein.

It was only heavy in carbs in comparison to the control group who were on a strict low carb diet. Nothing magical.

Provide enough protein. make up the mix with the amount of fat and carbs that suits the individuals needs and makes it palatable and substainable. Create a deficit if you want to loose weight. That's the Zone, South Beach, Fat flush whatever.

I've always been a fan of big breakfast and I've always been slim. Hey maybe there on to something.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Ian Haya

Profile:

The biggest problem I see with this study is that they didn't control for total calories, and they were on sedentary individuals.

I don't think the results are surprising, but I wouldn't recommend either method to lose weight either. My guess is that both groups felt like crap on these diets.

The "low carb" group took in only 1085 cals/day? Someone starting out obese more than likely has an above average amount of lean body mass just to carry themselves around. This didn't fail because it was a low carb diet, it failed because it was a crash/starvation diet. They probably lost a lot more lean mass, thus slowing down their metabolism and signalling their body to hold on to more fat. What do people here recommend if someone's weight loss stalls? EAT MORE (see Bryer's ice cream thread)!

The "big breakfast" group took in 1240 cals/day, which I think is still too low and still too "crash" diet. But they did take in more overall and the big breakfast probably kept them out of starvation mode from the spike and provided them with some of the benefits of IF in that towards the end of the day, their glucose supplies were running out and they would burn more fat during the night sleeping. This is just a meal tapering strategy used by bodybuilders, especially if the later meals were more protein and fat.

And of course, they only looked at weight loss, not fat loss/body composition, which is much more important for your health rather than the scale weight.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Ian Haya

Profile:

Thanks for the link Ger. A bit more info

The big breakfast group was hardly carb heavy. You could easily say it was protein heavy or fat heavy. It was just heavy. But 610 cals (heck, a lot of my meals probably weigh in at that much once I add extra fat, and I'm only ~143lbs) isn't exactly like scarfing down a Big Mac combo, which weighs in at 1130 cals (med fries, med coke) and so many people eat without even thinking.

The low-carb group was only 17g/day? Sounds like a ketogenic/Atkins deal. Again, not surprising. It's already been proven to work in the short term, but hardly something you would base a lifetime of eating on.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Haya View Post
The "big breakfast" group took in 1240 cals/day, which I think is still too low and still too "crash" diet.
I also think it's very low. However it does happen to be approximately 13 zone blocks, the recommended amount for a large woman.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

This made me want to take a nap just reading it.